DEEPSEA CHALLENGE - James Cameron and his expedition team

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Billy_B, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

35,787-foot (10,908-meter) solo dive to the deepest known place on Earth

“I’ve always dreamed of diving to the deepest place in the oceans. For me it went from a boyhood fantasy to a real quest, like climbing Everest, as I learned more about deep-ocean exploration and became an explorer myself in real life. This quest was not driven by the need to set records, but by the same force that drives all science and exploration … curiosity. So little is known about these deep places that I knew I would see things no human has ever seen. There is currently no submersible on Earth capable of diving to the ‘full ocean depth’ of 36,000 feet. The only way to make my dream a reality was to build a new vehicle unlike any in current existence. Our success during seven prior expeditions building and operating our own deep-ocean vehicles, cameras, and lighting systems gave me confidence that such a vehicle could be built, and not just with the vast resources of government programs, but also with a small entrepreneurial team. It took more than seven years to design and build the vehicle, and it is still a work in progress. Every dive teaches us more, and we are continuing to improve the sub and its systems daily, as we move through our sea trials.”

Autonomous and Log like this.
  2. Log

Log Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    2,830⛀
    Damn I like this! Since I was a child I've been really curious about the Marianna Trenches, and what's in them. I don't know their depth of hand though. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

3. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Check it out man http://www.deepseachallenge.com/