Convince Me That You Are Correct

Discussion in 'Drama' started by Modron, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Modron

Modron Well-Known Member

As somebody who thinks that politics and political debate has, of late, been little more than a bunch of diaper flinging cry babies squealing for the most attention I have little time and patience for these kinds of online 'squabblefests'.

However, I would like to offer people the chance to convince me (a political neutral) that their side of the argument is the correct one.

Dare you step up to the challenge?

A few rules:

* Keep it civil - no name-calling, personal insults, death threats or anything that is not helpful to the discussion.
    * Make your arguments based on FACTS and not EMOTIONS. Facts can be proveable, emotions cannot. Also, make sure that they are verifiable and 'not fake news' on either side of the divide.
    * Don't waffle - get to the point.
    * You may use your opinions, but do not make an essay about them - consider the opinions of others as well as the shortcomings of your own opinions and beliefs.

You don't have to write a Tolstoy-esque piece, if you can put down a good and solid argument using only a few paragraphs that is fine.

The question is:

'My Political Beliefs Are Correct Because...'

2. Modron

Modron Well-Known Member

(Crickets chirp)

3. CharlieBrowen

CharlieBrowen Active Member

Money:
    594⛀
    Dunno if it has to be political but this kind of is.

Did we land on the moon?

4. MichaelaLucifen

MichaelaLucifen Well-Known Member FCN Regular

I can't give you any point of view since I don't care about politics but...Have you seen how people is in this place? You were asking for too much...

5. MiaSuyo

MiaSuyo Well-Known Member FCN Regular

I am a libertarian. I come from a country where health care costs 50-100 a month for individual to family. There is no personal income tax and a 2% business tax. The taxes collected are a VAT tax distributed equally

They have a lot right but so much wrong just like here. But here u never hear of far sided Libertarians. Cuz there aren’t any

EMERGENCY safety nets and individual freedom. And with that freedom means YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU.

Government is a horrible thing that should protect us, borders, domestic laws and issue passports along with the aforementioned emergency safety net

It is conservatism one step closer to less regulation, a more free and responsible society and requires us to be individually responsible. The free market takes care of everything

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Modron likes this.
  6. Modette

Modette Guest

how do you know crickets Chirp you say birds chirp yet they sound nothing like a cricket, also how do you know the color blue is blue, as with everything 1 persons perception is different from anothers

7. MiaSuyo

MiaSuyo Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Hmmm A political

8. Pistil

Pistil Guest

I appreciate the thread. Civil, thoughtful, open , and mutually respectful discussion/debate may be our only hope.
    But I can't work with the premise that my political views are correct because that insinuates (at least) that your views and their views are not correct if they don't align with mine. This is the ongoing problem, most evident at the highest levels.

Modron likes this.
  9. Modron

Modron Well-Known Member

I agree entirely.

There are so many 'I am right and you are wrong' screeching arguments on both sides of the divide online, that sometimes their authors forget that they are not the moral arbiters of anything.

Pistil likes this.
  10. Steg

Steg Guest

...I'm always right. Except this one time where I thought I was wrong. But I was actually right all along.