Rights and Freedoms Is America Still The Best Hope For Freedom Around The World ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lamar56, Jul 17, 2018.

1. witchygirl

witchygirl Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    199,592⛀
    I want you out...

Dcdevon likes this.
  2. nessabbyxo

nessabbyxo Guest

Lol she's a nutter DC and a lot of shit too or maybe just shit. Likes to attack me on chat when I don't even talk to her or know her.

3. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,036⛀
    I know baby. Fortunately I have insurance through my job . A lot of people don't and will be screwed if they win.

witchygirl likes this.
  4. Dcdevon

Money:
    59,036⛀
    Oh yeah she's bat shit crazy. A troll and a wanna be bully. And honestly she probably attacks you because you are latinx . She a racist bitch as well.

witchygirl likes this.
  5. nessabbyxo

nessabbyxo Guest

Lol yep probably but I'm an American so HAHAHAHAHA

Dcdevon likes this.
  6. Penguin_Petey

Penguin_Petey Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    6,448⛀
    @Dcdevon and nessabbyxo: I kinda lost the plot here. I was enjoying slating the wonderful U.S. of A, and now someone is bat shit crazy and a troll: Who ? tell me now PLEASEEEEEEE

7. KingDavid

KingDavid Buzzword vendor

Is America Still The Best Hope For Freedom Around The World ?

Yes, I definitely think so. If the United States guarantees the most freedom of speech than any other country, then what other country would be the last to fall? I mean, if you're British, you don't even have a constitution! You have no guns to protect yourselves, they're expanding the police-surveillance state, you're losing freedom of speech, and it's not looking good. Look, The United States isn't without its faults, like all countries, but it's easy to rag on something. How about, instead, we come up with a more qualified country to be the "best hope for freedom"? Any suggestions? I sure as hell don't have any.

“He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.” - George Orwell

8. SexyAsianBitch

SexyAsianBitch Forum & Chat Moderator Staff Member FCN Regular

Money:
    57,481⛀
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/freest-countries/

According to the 2018 index of economic freedom Hong Kong is number one with a score of 90.1 Singapore is second with 89.4.

But are we also talking about happiness along with freedom or just freedom? Because if you are talking about happiness and freedom then number 1 would be Denmark. Number 3 in happiness and number 9 in economic freedom. USA comes in at number 10 on economic freedom index and 18 in happiness

9. SexyAsianBitch

Money:
    57,481⛀
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

This website also lists USA as the 8th best country. The rankings are based on 9 different areas:

Adventure (2.00 percent): friendly, fun, pleasant climate, scenic, sexy

Citizenship (15.88 percent): cares about human rights, cares about the environment, gender equality, progressive, religious freedom, respects property rights, trustworthy, well-distributed political power

Cultural Influence (12.96 percent): culturally significant in terms of entertainment, fashionable, happy, has an influential culture, modern, prestigious, trendy

Entrepreneurship (17.87 percent): connected to the rest of the world, educated population, entrepreneurial, innovative, provides easy access to capital, skilled labor force, technological expertise, transparent business practices, well-developed infrastructure, well-developed legal framework

Heritage (1.13 percent): culturally accessible, has a rich history, has great food, many cultural attractions

Movers (14.36 percent): different, distinctive, dynamic, unique

Open for Business (11.08 percent): bureaucratic, cheap manufacturing costs, corrupt, favorable tax environment, transparent government practices

Power (7.95 percent): a leader, economically influential, politically influential, strong international alliances, strong military

Quality of Life (16.77 percent): a good job market, affordable, economically stable, family friendly, income equality, politically stable, safe, well-developed public education system, well-developed public health system

10. KingDavid

I didn't say "economic freedom", I thought we're talking about "freedom" just? Wouldn't it be just as ridiculous to assume I was talking about the Beyonce song? From your link:
    Economic freedom is defined as the ability to become prosperous within a country without interference from the government or economic authority. In other words, countries with economic freedom allow their citizens to obtain and protect labor, human resources, and property.

That's not what I'm talking about.
    Absolutely not. With freedom, you have to choice to be miserable. I can choose to bathe in mayonnaise in the hot Arizona sun, but that doesn't mean I'll be happy. Those countries are happier because their populations are very, very low and they're economically sound. They also have a better sense of community. I value that last part, but it's a lot easier when you're not living in a cramp society that's losing their communities to modern living. Maybe you disagree and think there are other reasons why Americans are less happy and more addicted to opiates, but either way, they're not happier because they have more freedom.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/c/constitutional-freedom/
    Constitutional freedom refers to those freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution. Such freedoms are granted by the Constitution to its citizens and they can enjoy it under the protection of the Constitution. The freedom guaranteed under the Constitution includes the aggregate of personal, civil, and political rights of individuals. These freedoms are secured against invasion by the government or any of its agencies. Freedom of religion, speech, and press as guaranteed by the first amendment and the due process clause of fourteenth amendment are certain basic freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution to its citizens.

https://www.freedomforuminstitute.org/about/faq/what-is-freedom-of-expression/
    Freedom of expression refers to the ability of an individual or group of individuals to express their beliefs, thoughts, ideas, and emotions about different issues free from government censorship. The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects the rights of individuals to freedom of religion, speech, press, petition, and assembly. Some scholars group several of those freedoms under the general term “freedom of expression.”

Most state constitutions also contain provisions guaranteeing freedom of expression. Some provide even greater protection than the First Amendment.

Freedom of expression is essential to individual liberty and contributes to what the Supreme Court has called the marketplace of ideas. The First Amendment assumes that the speaker, not the government, should decide the value of speech.

This is my definition of freedom (of expression).

11. KingDavid

Personally, I don't give any credence to these polls. There's one where they asked people in Cuba if they were "happy" with their health care. That doesn't mean we should become communists and blindly accept whatever the news-people tell us to think. Here's another article from the same site that you linked.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...etarian-diet-to-save-the-planet-reduce-deaths
    You better become a vegetarian, @SexyAsianBitch , or you're a bad person. It's like, practically science, dude.

I don't doubt that, on average, more people are "happier" in Norway than in the United States, but there are many reasons. I don't believe any of them have to do with having less freedom of expression. If you feel that I'm missing something, I'm willing to hear what you have to say. See previous post about my definition of freedom.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  12. SexyAsianBitch

Money:
    57,481⛀
    I understand where you are coming from now. You are correct on the population. Looking online I see that the state of New York has a larger population (8 million) than Denmark (5 million)

13. KingDavid

Yeah, I think overpopulation and the industrial society that we live in is making us miserable. It's slowly weeding out those who crave freedom for those who crave orders and dopamine. I think, eventually, it's inevitable that the Government, perhaps a World State like in Brave New World, will take control of the people. Relieve them the burden of self-consciousness, control them with entertainment and drugs (not threats), and use their bodies for manual labor, to further the industrial society. I think places like the UK are going to be the first to go in that direction - already have. I think the US will be the last to hold out, and either we'll have a third world war and who's to say what happens, or we're done. No more freedom. I actually think this is the most likely outcome.

Here's one of the main reasons I believe technology, and the society that wields it, is responsible for making us more depressed, anxious and living meaningless lives as amoral pleasure-seekers.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/unabomber/manifesto.text.htm?noredirect=on

You don't have to read it. But it's one of the best things I've ever read. The other being Brave New World.

14. honeydivine

honeydivine Guest

before i be say yes big time but now i,m not too sure about that anymore specialy with the El Comandante they have i thing that created conflict more than anything else .

15. KingDavid

In BNW, people are born in factories and designed with specific intent what their occupations will be. They're designed to be happy if they're elites, or a second-class citizens. Everyone's completely content. They're encouraged to engage in casual sex and never have to worry about anything that doesn't aid them in their role to advance society. If they feel off, they can just take some Soma and feel better. Everyone's "happy", but they're far from free. I think sometimes happiness and freedom can even be at opposite ends of the table.

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

"Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

"I claim them all," said the Savage at last. (17.62-6)

16. Autonomous

Autonomous The Village Clown FCN Regular

Money:
    199,513⛀
    LONG LIVE AMERICAN FREEDOM!!! [​IMG]

KingDavid likes this.
  17. Autonomous

Autonomous The Village Clown FCN Regular

Money:
    199,513⛀
  18. Dcdevon