(Rant) Defunding the police is a terrible, moronic, utterly stupid idea.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GrimTheCeratosaurus, Jul 4, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you agree?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2021.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GrimTheCeratosaurus

GrimTheCeratosaurus Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    2,496⛀
    Right now, there's an increase in crime all over America, and people are saying to defund the police. I understand why, of course. The murder of George Floyd was a terrible act, but it was an act committed by one man, and that one man happened to be a police officer. Does that really mean the entire United States police force is corrupt and unjust? I don't think so. For one thing, that's ridiculous. One man killed George Floyd. The police, a judge, and a jury punished that one man. But for some reason, the entire police is at fault for the atrocity committed by him. So now, the entire police is being defunded. And now, all across America, crime is skyrocketing. So, why are people STILL saying to defund the police? In my opinion, we need to give the police the resources they need to stop this crime wave before it destroys the entire country. Because if people don't realize the opportunity they're creating for criminals to commit their crimes, we'll eventually have no police force, and America could descend into the anarchy which the Middle East is known for.

Tl;dr: Don't defund the organisation that keeps us safe from criminals, at least not because of one racist prick.

2. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,059⛀
    What do you think defund the police means ?

Busty_Nerd and witchygirl like this.
  3. GrimTheCeratosaurus

Money:
    2,496⛀
    It means they don't get the money they need to purchase the things that let them keep American citizens safe.

4. SexyAsianBitch

SexyAsianBitch Forum & Chat Moderator Staff Member FCN Regular

Money:
    57,616⛀
    Not quite. Defund the police” means reallocating or redirecting funding away from the police department to other government agencies funded by the local municipality. That’s it. They still have money to keep people safe. This is basically to make the police departments get rid of "bad apples","crooked cops", or whatever euphemism you have for those who think they are above the law.

Looking at the police brutality statistics worldwide from the website world population review under police killings in 2021; United States is number six, that is really high especially when that is the only first world country in the top 10. This list is based on

Brazil - 6,160
    Philippines -5,810
    Venezuela - 5,297
    India -1,731
    Syria - 1,497
    United States - 933
    Nigeria - 841
    El Salvador - 609
    Afghanistan - 606
    Pakistan 495

5. GrimTheCeratosaurus

Money:
    2,496⛀
    Good point. But think of it this way: a criminal hears that the local police department is being defunded. That sounds like the department has less resources, ergo it's harder for them to catch criminals, ergo it's easier to commit a crime. That means the criminal feels safer committing its crimes. And so, it does. And over time, the story spreads, and more criminals commit more crimes, and so on, until we have a crime wave like the one happening right now.

6. SexyAsianBitch

Money:
    57,616⛀
    Criminals will commit crimes regardless. Your point is invalid. Criminals do not care about laws. Also reread my response about what defund the police means. It does not mean you have no means to keep the community safe. How is it harder for them to catch criminals? They are not getting their vehicles and weapons repossessed. Instead of thinking "oh my police cannot keep me safe because they are not gaining new money", it is more "my police will only get ten new cars instead of twenty and they will not get new rehabilitation center that they don't really need in the first place"

xShygirlx likes this.
  7. GrimTheCeratosaurus

Money:
    2,496⛀
    Seems I wildly misunderstood what defunding means lmao. But still you can't deny there's a pattern in crime skyrocketing ever since the defunding stuff started

8. SexyAsianBitch

Money:
    57,616⛀
    I think it has always been there, you just now see it more clearly because of recent events

9. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,059⛀
    Crime cycles go up and down. Our crime rate has been going up since before the summer protests last year .Right wing media has attempted to link the two and the defund the police idea. But think about it .During the 90's police budgets were increased to deal with the increase in crime related to drugs and social issues .It did nothing to decrease crime The idea behind defund the police is to give some money towards helping to deal with the issues that contribute to crime. More money towards social services, youth services, mental health treatment, education , housing , job assistance etc . That way hopefully there is lees crime and we all are safer .

nikiainmadripoor and witchygirl like this.
  10. CheatingWife1975

CheatingWife1975 Member FCN Regular

Money:
    345⛀
    The slogan is part of the problem. Defund does not mean "continue funding", it means to prevent funding. If I was into conspiracy theories, I would say the slogan was created to make anyone who agrees with it look like an idiot.

11. CheatingWife1975

CheatingWife1975 Member FCN Regular

Money:
    345⛀
    No, you completely understood the word defund. The problem is those who chose to use it do not understand what it means. They should have said "reduce police funding, increase social services funding" or something else. But that is hard to put on a bumper sticker.

xShygirlx likes this.
  12. NJguy86

NJguy86 Member FCN Regular

Money:
    261⛀
    Facts!

Whoever thought they coined the phrase that would spark a revolution was an idiot there. Any reasonably intelligent person who supports "defund the police" usually has some very valid points to make on police reform and how to better implement law enforcement once you get into the weeds about it.

Tucker Carlson LOVES excluding all these details and letting everyone run away with the impression that we're cutting the budget to the police departments across America when in fact most theoretical "defund" plans would likely increase spending on law enforcement. I'm glad Biden pushed back on the notion all together and hard, and has yet (to the best of my knowledge) done anything contradictory.

Refund or reform the police is likely a more accurate quip lol. Camden NJ is actually a great example. They laid off the entire police force and rehired or hired new again with an entirely new approach to police training with emphasis on descalation and keeping their police force as local as possible. I don't remember all the details, but i believe they pushed money into other things in the city as well to fight crime in a more socioeconomic way. Without devoting my life to researching and memorizing statistics lol i think violent crime and police interactions resulting in violence dropped over 30%. Kind of a big deal in a city that was for 3 or 4 years in a row named the most dangerous city in America and top 3 for quite a while after. Philly could learn a thing or two lol.

CheatingWife1975 likes this.
  13. RepublicanLatina

RepublicanLatina New Member

Money:
    5⛀
    It's a moronic idea. I live in an area where if the police didn't have the resources needed, it would become unlivable pretty quick.

14. RickTheMarshall

RickTheMarshall Active Member FCN Regular

Money:
    1,130⛀
    So the thing is: "Defund the Police" doesn't actually mean "remove every departments resources nation wide."

I'm effect, it means literally what you're describing. Re-allocating funds and resources appropriately so that they can do their jobs without unnecessary tools and resources for brutality and corruption.

Anyone who is pushing for the abolishment of the police is not a part of the above agenda. If they claim that they are, then they are extremists.

15. nessiuwu

nessiuwu Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    1,351⛀
    here in brazil police brutality is seem as heroic because of how vile criminals can be

16. angielinaaaaa

angielinaaaaa New Member

Money:
    5⛀
    i think a lot of people think that left leaning people want to completely destroy the police and make it so there's no authority but defund the police really means checking the amount of power that police are allowed to exercise and making sure that funds are available for education and other necessary things instead of further expanding military and police budgets