Religion

Discussion in 'Religion' started by ZeroRewind, Sep 3, 2017.

1. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

I feel religion gets a really bad rap these days because of a minority of people belonging to it; terrorrists and whatnot.

But, to be honest, it's like saying all Germans are bad because Poppycock was German. I can continue this line of thought ad nauseam, but you can get my point.

For my own people- Lebanese in Canada- many turn to religion as a way to keep a tight knit community. The churches/mosques are more like community centers than anything. After the sermons/services there's a large meeting room downstairs to sit down, chat, listen to announcements, have a party, etc.

Not to mention a pretty decent moral code (don't kill people, don't steal, etc.)

I think that's what most outsiders don't notice; they're too busy frothing at the mouth with rage over past misdeeds by people long dead.

2. AmberDoll

AmberDoll Guest

French people are bad German car drivers are bad oh thats not religion is it if everyone was religious properly then the thou shalt not kill would stop all wars its all total greed hidden behind fake religion im becoming a total atheist every time I hear the in the name of Allah crap no decent person kills whatever religion

3. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

Some people kill, and that's unavoidable. The majority doesn't.

As I said, quoting past misdeeds by people long dead from a bygone age is not the way to go about this. Just saying.

4. Spangle

Spangle Well-Known Member

Money:
    4,738⛀
    ISIS are from a bygone age? Tell that to the victims of the Manchester bombing I dare you.

Martystaffs likes this.
  5. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

Take your outrage elsewhere. The person before was talking about religious WARS, hundreds of millions killing each other in major massacres; not some few hundreds attacking like cowards from the shadows.

As I said, using the vast (even publicly condemned) minority to blame the majority is shortsighted and in all honesty, dumb.

6. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

The people long dead I'm referring to are the monsters whose names were etched in history. I don't argue through emotion and outrage.

7. Spangle

Money:
    4,738⛀
    So you support extremism it seems...

And doubtless the oppression of women in your culture.

Religion...made by the few...paid for by the many...

Martystaffs likes this.
  8. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

I will re-state what I first posted to clear up any confusion.

I said I felt that religion got a bad rap because of a vast minority of bloodthirsty killers using religion as a means to an end.

Then, I focused on the majority, and explained how religions result in tight knit communities embracing family values and the like.

In response, you called a supporter of extremism and the oppression of women.

I'm not sure where that leap of logic comes from, as I've repeatedly stated that the monsters are a fringe minority that the actual religions themselves view as abhorrent.

As for the oppression statement, I have absolutely no idea where that came from.

I wish to also point out to you that you just did what is called "ad hominem". It is when you baselessly attack the person saying the statement instead of arguing against the statement itself.

Please, let's be mature about this and argue like adults, not like children.

Thank you.

9. Spangle

Money:
    4,738⛀
    Please don't suggest I'm a child. I am 51 years of age and as has already been stated by another member I too have seen the backlash of religious prejudices. Religion gets a bad name because:
    Priests have a prediliction for choirboys.
    Nuns have a predeliction for cruelty.
    Anglicans have a predeliction for paedophilia.
    Muslims have a predeliction for oppression of women, rape and female circumcision as well as paedohilia.
    Jews have a predeliction for bombing the shit out of people.
    Sikhs have the predeliction for violence against women.
    And the many other religions like to gay bash, extort money and oppress people.

So while you're all nicely having tea and cucumber sandwiches at your after class tea parties...back at the ranch it's a whole different ball game.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Billy_B and Martystaffs like this.
  10. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

Again with the generalizations, and insults. Clearly you cannot be trusted to have a conversation with someone you clearly disagree with.

I've stated again and again that you are holding the many responsible for the crimes of the very few. And how do you respond to that statement? By doing it again.

I mean, it's like saying all Asians are bad drivers because a few of them are. You don't realize the ridiculousness of your statement?

I suppose the saying is true: insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a new result.

Dcdevon likes this.
  11. Spangle

Money:
    4,738⛀
    I have deleted my insults to you and apologise for them.

You can call it insane but no more than I find it insane that the masses can bow down to some imaginary omnipotent presence.

Just as the people of North Korea are (forced) to bow down to propaganda.

Religion is about money and power. Always has been, always will be. What better way is there to quell someone's fire that to instil in them a fear of hell and damnation? What better way to make money than to promise someone a beautiful life in the hereafter?

Greed and hatred and violence is hidden behind religion. Maybe not at your level. You have faith. Good for you. But don't be so naive as to think your 'leaders' do. They are self serving.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Martystaffs likes this.
  12. ZeroRewind

ZeroRewind Guest

Not the focus of the discussion, here.

13. poolsinwhite60

poolsinwhite60 New Member

Money:
    128⛀
    tiresome how people can't follow one thought and respond intelligently to that thought followed by adding another point to the discussion. seems clear enough to me - ZeroRewind stated - religion gets a bad rap today / why / and makes a valid point, I agree with his point, religion for the most part gives people a place to be with others like themselves holding people together in community, a natural human need, especially during times of difficulty. That said I don't disagree that religion is often misused by some people who prey on the poor who are most often uneducated and easily mislead however rarely are they lead into soldiering for their leaders for religious reasons rather cause they are promised food and a chance to further their life in a world without hope. a poor economy lack of good education and cultural suppression perpetrated by wealthy families on their poor is the main cause for terrorist activity for the purpose of keeping power or increasing wealth

14. Spangle

Money:
    4,738⛀
    That's complete bollocks. Many of the 'foot soldiers' are highly educated individuals with comfortable lives in the Western world. They don't commit acts of terror for food or 'hope' they commit them because they are brainwashed into beieving they will live a utopian afterlife..funnily enough under the guise of religion.

My own uncle taught computer programming to one of the Lockerbie bombers..altgough he knew nothing of the man's future intentions.

Terrorism is masterminded by highly technical minds, not by street beggars.

15. Prince_Aniket

Prince_Aniket Active Member

Money:
    1,358⛀
    My thoughts on religion:

Religion is simple. It is your way of life.
    Everyone shapes their lives in some ways. Whatever you eat or drink, whether you follow some rituals or not, whether you worship someone or not.
    From your birth to death, in your holy matrimony or in your funeral, certain things happened. These basically specify your religion.

Every religion incorporates a code of conduct, a code of ethics and morality within their followers. Every religion has unique guidelines to follow.
    However, you can choose to follow or not follow them. You can choose to be theist or atheist or agnostic. It's your choice.

The problem starts when this simple dimension of human rights i.e. freedom of choice is violated. The problem starts when somebody tries to
    make his/her religion superior to other. The problem starts when people are brainwashed to believe if you murder or rape for your religion, all
    the pleasures will await in heaven.
    This subtle manipulation was normally executed in order to gain influence, power, money. History proves its effectiveness. And it works as
    religion normally binds a human being with his/her inner self in a deeper and spiritual way.

ZeroRewind, in my opinion, stated in a nutshell that religion is good and it is getting a bad name due to some rogue elements.
    Religion is good only when people understand it properly and effectively. If one is enlightened with the essence of any religion, he/ she will
    know what to change in his/her life to make it better.
    And that is the goal of any religion- To make your life better. And meaningful.

PumpkinPie likes this.
  16. poolsinwhite60

poolsinwhite60 New Member

Money:
    128⛀
    once again / / / you missed that I stated building an army from poor people quote - That said I don't disagree that religion is often misused by some people who prey on the poor who are most often uneducated and easily mislead- end quote,, obviously uneducated poor people can't build armies and plan / feed / and run a terrorist organization, it seems clear you can't have a conversation, so perhaps - bollocks to you? I"m won't be wasting time attempting to have a conversation with people who can't follow a concept and add intelligently to it.

17. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

The argument that never goes stale....

18. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,041⛀
    Your right not to waste your time.if you disagree with her she just acts like a child or gets mad and makes up stuff. Arrested development maybe ?

19. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

What is arrested development?

20. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,041⛀
    It has different meanings . It usually means lack of development in something. Be it physical or mental.