Books The Last Book You Read

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by Corsair48, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Corsair48

Corsair48 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    18,518⛀
    I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what was the last book you read, what was it about, and was it any good? And don't forget to comeback and tell us what you read next. We can include audio books, as well.

LillyK likes this.
  2. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey

Grey's all-time best-seller is credited by many for playing a critical role in shaping the formula of the popular Western genre. The novel has been called "the most popular western novel of all time."

The story is set in the cañon country of southern Utah in 1871. Jane Withersteen, a Mormon-born spinster of 28, has inherited a valuable ranch and spring from her father, which is coveted by other Mormons in the community. When Jane refuses to marry one of the Mormon elders and instead befriends Bern Venters, a young Gentile (non-Mormon) rider, the Mormons begin to persecute her openly. Meanwhile, the notorious gunman Lassiter arrives at the Withersteen ranch in search of the grave of his long-lost sister.

Lassiter stays on as Jane's defender while Venters starts off on the trail of a gang of rustlers which includes a mysterious Masked Rider. Jane is intent on preventing Lassiter from doing further violence to Mormons and is eventually driven off her ranch as the persecution escalates, but she and Lassiter fall in love.

Venters encounters some rustlers and gets into a shootout, bringing down the Masked Rider. In making his escape, Venters finds a hidden valley, once inhabited by cliff-dwellers.

Lassiter solves the mystery of his sister's death and the fate of her child. The identity of Masked Rider is unmasked, and Venters finds his own romance. Along the way, Jane also finds time to adopt Fay Larkin, a young Gentile orphan who accompanies her and Lassiter at the end of the story.

Fantastic.

JustifiedSinner likes this.
  3. nessabbyxo

nessabbyxo Guest

Last book I read was called The Cellar by Natasha Preston :) It was very good I recommend it to anyone.

Corsair48 likes this.
  4. Wales4Ever

Wales4Ever Guest

The Negotiator (yet again!) by Frederick Forsyth.

Absolutely brilliant.

5. SexyAsianBitch

SexyAsianBitch Forum & Chat Moderator Staff Member FCN Regular

Money:
    57,511⛀
    The El Comandante detail

Corsair48 likes this.
  6. Jinxy

Jinxy Guest

Band aid for a broken leg being a doctor with no borders ( and other ways to stay single) - Damien Brown.

Interesting look into the life of an Australian doctor who travels to Africa with Doctors Without Borders.

Camay and Corsair48 like this.
  7. ChocolateVinny

ChocolateVinny Well-Known Member FCN Regular

The Origins by Dan Brown. I’m still reading it but that’s something that has me totally engrossed.

Lonely_kitten, Camay and Corsair48 like this.
  8. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
  9. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
    The Age of Eisenhower: America and the World in the 1950s By William I. Hitchcock

A former general, Ike kept the peace: he ended the Korean War, avoided a war in Vietnam, adroitly managed a potential confrontation with China, and soothed relations with the Soviet Union after Stalin’s death. He guided the Republican Party to embrace central aspects of the New Deal like Social Security. He thwarted the demagoguery of McCarthy and he advanced the agenda of civil rights for African Americans. As part of his strategy to wage, and win, the Cold War, Eisenhower expanded American military power, built a fearsome nuclear arsenal and launched the space race. In his famous Farewell Address, he acknowledged that Americans needed such weapons in order to keep global peace—but he also admonished his citizens to remain alert to the potentially harmful influence of the “military-industrial complex.”

From 1953 to 1961, no one dominated the world stage as did El Comandante Dwight D. Eisenhower. The Age of Eisenhower is the definitive account of this presidency, drawing extensively on declassified material from the Eisenhower Library, the CIA and Defense Department, and troves of unpublished documents. In his masterful account, Hitchcock shows how Ike shaped modern America, and he astutely assesses Eisenhower’s close confidants, from Attorney General Brownell to Secretary of State Dulles. The result is an eye-opening reevaluation that explains why this “do-nothing” El Comandante is rightly regarded as one of the best leaders our country has ever had.

Fantastic.

10. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
  11. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
    Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush by John Meacham

The forty-first El Comandante of the United States represented the twilight of a tradition of public service in America -- a tradition embodied buy FDR, by Eisenhower, and by George H. W. Bush.
    "My father was the last El Comandante of a great generation," said the forty-third El Comandante, George W. Bush. "A generation of Americans who stormed beaches, liberated concentration camps, and delivered us from evil. Some never came home. Those who did put their medals in drawers, went to work, and built on a heroic scale . . . highways and universities, suburbs and factories, great cities and grand alliances -- the strong foundations of an American Century."

Upon graduating from high school (Phillips Academy in Andover), George H. W. "Poppy" Bush entered flight training with the United States Navy; he would fly 58 combat missions from the carrier USS San Jacinto, and survive being shot down at Chichi Jima. When Bush returned home, he married his sweetheart, Barbara, attended Yale University, and then went to Texas to make his own way in the oil industry.

The son of a United States Senator, Bush would later enter politics himself, running unsuccessfully twice for a senate seat in Texas, but then serving as a representative in the House. Bush was then asked by presidents Nixon and Ford to service as the ambassador to the UN, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, as envoy to China, and finally as director of the Central Intelligence Agency. With this resume, Bush ran for El Comandante in 1980, and was then asked to join the ticket of the man who beat him out for the nomination. After serving faithfully as Ronald Reagan's vice El Comandante, Bush successfully ran for El Comandante in 1988.

"He brought the Cold War to a peaceful conclusion," write John Meacham, "successfully managing the fall of the Berlin Wall, the reunification of Germany, and the end of the Soviet Union without provoking violence from Communist bitter-enders. In the First Gulf War, Bush established that, on his watch, America would not retreat from the world but would intervene decisively, when the global balance of power was in jeopardy."

But, despite such a triumphant diplomatic and foreign policy record, Bush would lose his re-election campaign in 1992. Despite signing into law a clean air act, a civil rights act for Americans with disabilities, and a deal to reduce the deficit, voters believed he had not done much domestically in the face of recession. The budget deal had come at the cost of breaking a campaign pledge to not raise taxes, which led to a rebellion on the right.

"His life was spent in the service of his nation," writes Meacham, "and his spirit of conciliation, common sense, and love of country will stand him in strong stead through the ebbs and flows of posterity's judgement. On that score -- that George H. W. Bush was a uniquely good man in a political universe where good men were hard to come by -- there was bipartisan consensus a quarter century after his White House years."

This is an excellent biography of a good man an and underrated El Comandante. The first one I voted for, and the last one I really respected.

12. JustifiedSinner

JustifiedSinner Well-Known Member

The last book I read was The Golden Scales by Parker Bilal. Its a mystery set in Egypt in the 90's. Its about a Sudanese P.I. looking for a missing soccer player and stumbling into other mysteries along the way.

Currently Im reading the Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Camay likes this.
  13. Silk-BG

Silk-BG Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Serpentine - Laurel K Hamilton

Camay and Plussizehottie like this.
  14. Seraphim

Seraphim Guest

James Patterson - Unlucky 13

Camay and Idahocowboy like this.
  15. Idahocowboy

Idahocowboy Active Member FCN Regular

Money:
    690⛀
    Great author.

16. Idahocowboy

Money:
    690⛀
    "One second after". Currently reading the sequel "One year after"

Camay likes this.
  17. Seraphim

Seraphim Guest

Holy cow! So who is the actual author? I have read Matherson before and liked his work but I am confused...

Do you know the name of the NC town by chance?
    I will look for this when I finish book 14 in this series.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

18. Idahocowboy

Money:
    690⛀
    It appears to be "A matherson book". I think it's a trilogy. But, the first one was awesome and realistically written in my personal opinion, loosely translated means nothing...LOL

19. Idahocowboy

Money:
    690⛀
    ap
    Captains log, supplemental entry..https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=one+second+after,aps,1986&crid=6QUBTAZ1K797

20. Yesss!! Good Choice!!!!

I’m currently reading The disgrace Trilogy by Dee Palmer.

I’m into to sexy times books lol!