The Masters @ Work- Works of Art

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by Billy_B, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Les femmes d’Alger, (Version “O”)
    ' The Women of Algiers '

1955 by Pablo Picasso

' A culmination of a herculean project which Picasso started after Matisse’s death, in homage to his lost friend and competitor, and which over a period of two months and after nearly 100 studies on paper and 14 other paintings led to the creation of this canvas in February 1955. Picasso painted a series of 15 variations on Delacroix’s Les femmes d’Alger, designated as versions A through O. Throughout his series, Picasso references the Spanish master’s two versions of the shared subject, intermingling their elementts. '

Picasso had first made a sketch version of the work as early as 1940 and throughout the decade regularly visited the Louvre specifically to look at Delacroix's canvas. However, like so many of Picasso's variations, the works, including this oil sketch, were only loosely based upon the original. Here Picasso has again distorted the forms of the women seated in the foreground, twisting their bodies into impossible contortions so that front and back views are simultaneously presented to the viewer. The emphasis on the odalisque is also closely related to Picasso's admiration for Henri Matisse, who specialized in the representation of women in such exotic costumes. Matisse's recent death inspired Picasso to engage with this subject.

In 2015, Picasso's The Women of Algiers has set a new world record for the most expensive artwork to be sold at auction after reaching $179m in New York.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. Billy_B

3. Heather

Heather Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Damn.

4. Billy_B

It's a lot of penny's

Heather likes this.
  5. Heather

I keep looking at it trying to figure out what makes it worth 179 million bucks....I heard someone say before the more you look at abstract art you won't understand it, you should look quick and take it all in....well did both still dont get it...lol

6. Billy_B

Yes I know what you mean, yrs ago I watched a documentary which explained the painters perception as they pieced such a painting together, and much the same as you couldn't understand a fucking thing they were saying. Attached is the original which inspired P and yes again looking at both I can't see the whatever I should be looking at, but being a private collector I imagine we'll never see it again, if your spending 179 million on paintings like this I Imagine they will have the answers we seek, or have no fucking idea to its dimensions either and just like looking at square tits.

IMG_5387.JPG

7. Heather

I'm right there with you Billy looked and looked again, still don't get it. I guess I missed the train for Art Inspiration...lmao.

8. Billy_B

I think so, might be one of those things that just happens

Heather likes this.
  9. Heather

It must be, I went looking at some Art Work to see if I could get an eye for it, well some of it was alright but I had to look upside down and some of it to figure what the heck it was..lol. I did come across this piece though and had to share it with you, I hope thats ok.

z48.jpg

Yep thats what I found and good golly Miss Molly look at the price tag.
    $75.1 million. No 1 (Royal Red and Blue) by Mark Rothko, 2012.

I can paint that...lol.

Billy_B likes this.
  10. Billy_B

Yes I know of this one, I've seen it a couple of times here and there, hes one of the great masters of abstract. He killed himself by slicing both his arms up with razor blades. Apparently it was quite shocking where he lay due to the aggressive nature of how he cut himself.

Have a look at this one, if you have to time just view it on the computer as large as you can get it, sit back and look at it, watch the paining change the more you look at it, and if you can try to push yourself into the middle space as you stare at it.
    IMG_5389.JPG

11. Billy_B

' The Veiled Virgin '

Single piece of Marble

The Veiled Virgin is a Carrara marble statue carved in Rome by Italian sculptor Giovanni Strazza, depicting the bust of a veiled Blessed Virgin Mary. The exact date of the statue's completion is unknown, but it was probably in the early 1850

IMG_5433.JPG

TallulahBlue likes this.
  12. Billy_B

Jackson Pollock

76.2553.145_ph_web.jpg

Circumcision painting was completed in 1946.

The artist was inspired by Pablo Picasso and that connection is evident in this painting and in several of his other works.

In fact, the Circumcision painting shows more evidence of that influence than many of the works which were completed after that.
    This painting is important as a transitional work. During the period of its creation, Pollock still used a brush more of the time. He had not yet started placing more emphasis on painting by pouring.

The solid geometric lines which are evident here are not seen as often in some of his later paintings, such as Untitled (Green Silver) and Number 10. As Pollock began to develop his Action Painting technique more, viewers see less and less of the distinctive Analytical Cubism that Picasso is known for. However, Pollock still remains faithful to Picasso's move towards abstraction in his work.

With Circumcision, interesting lines in various shades of blue mark the orders between indistinct figures. Even though a cubist style is evident, Pollock is clearly moving away from it in "Circumcision". His distinctive fluid style is evident here as he seeks to express himself on the canvas.

The figures seem to flow, merging in in some sections. The whole canvas is covered with intense colour but some are more filled to the brim with conflict than others. As with all of Pollock's drip paintings, intense vigour is evident in Circumcision. Even here, the texture of the paint seems just as important as the shape of the lines formed with each stroke. At times it seems each line tells a story that is separate from what is being expressed through the whole painting. Each stroke has a rhythm that is uniquely its own.

Elements of different totemic figures are distributed throughout the entire painting but one cannot be sure exactly what they are and it is up to the viewer to determine what they represent.

13. Billy_B

The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss

“…a creature content with himself as animal and artist, and one who didn’t give a lick or a spit for anyone’s opinion, one way or another, of his work.”

[​IMG]

A Seuss drawing suggesting that no matter how big, inflated or different the image we try to portray, being ourselves is most important.

[​IMG]

‘Pink-Tufted Small Beast in Night Landscape,’ 1960

[​IMG]

‘The Stag at Eve,’ 1960

[​IMG]

‘Peru 1 (Giant Llama Led Through Village), 1925

[​IMG]

‘Peru 2 (Vultures Waiting for the Fall), 1925

[​IMG]

‘Peru 3 (Cock Fight), 1925

[​IMG]

‘Peru 4 (Angry Pig), 1925

[​IMG]

Zachery

[​IMG]

‘The Manly Art of Self-Defense,’ 1927

[​IMG]

Untitled

[​IMG]

Untitled

Autonomous likes this.
  14. Billy_B

Symphonic Sculpture at the Hakone Open Air Museum in Hakone, Japan.

IMG_5503.JPG IMG_5504.JPG IMG_5505.JPG IMG_5506.JPG IMG_5507.JPG

Autonomous and WomenRfromVenus like this.
  15. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Throughly enjoyed this :), especially the stained glass wow can't begin to imagine the skill level of those artisans and the amount of time and heart and soul and passion.

Billy_B likes this.
  16. Billy_B

Leonardo da Vinci painting sells for record $591 million at auction in New York

BCB06B6D-BD4B-457E-BEE2-EAB6AADBDBAC.jpeg

The 500-year-old oil painting depicting Christ holding a crystal orb, called Salvator Mundi — or Saviour of the World — is one of fewer than 20 paintings by Leonardo da Vinci known to exist.

The 66-centimetre-tall painting dates from around 1500 and shows Christ dressed in Renaissance-style robes, his right hand raised in blessing as his left hand holds a crystal sphere.

"The word 'masterpiece' barely begins to convey the rarity, importance and sublime beauty of Leonardo's painting," said Alan Wintermute from Christie's, the auction house that conducted the sale.

He described the artwork as "the Holy Grail of old master paintings".

A backer of the auction had guaranteed a bid of at least $US100 million, the opening price of the auction, which ran for 19 minutes.

People in the auction house gallery applauded and cheered when the bidding reached $US300 million about halfway through, and when the hammer came down on the final bid, $US400 million.

The record sale price of $US450 million includes the buyer's premium, a fee paid by the winner to the auction house.

17. Billy_B

Must admit the dude in the painting looks like some Trans just getting home for the night

18. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Is it just me or is Jesus throwing deuces???

19. Billy_B

That’s fuckin gold lol lol lol

20. Billy_B

Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marquis of Púbol (May 11, 1904 -- January 23, 1989), was a Spanish surrealist painter born in Figueres, Catalonia. Dalí was a skilled draftsman, best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work. His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters.

His best known work, The Persistence of Memory, was completed in 1931. Salvador Dalí's artistic repertoire also included film, sculpture, and photography. He collaborated with Walt Disney on the Academy Award-nominated short cartoon Destino, which was released posthumously in 2003. He also collaborated with Alfred Hitchcock on Hitchcock's film Spellbound. Dalí insisted on his "Arab lineage", claiming that his ancestors were descended from the Moors who occupied Southern Spain for nearly 800 years (711-1492), and attributed to these origins, "my love of everything that is gilded and excessive, my passion for luxury and my love of oriental clothes." Widely considered to be greatly imaginative, Dalí had an affinity for doing unusual things to draw attention to himself. This sometimes irked those who loved his art as much as it annoyed his critics, since his eccentric manner sometimes drew more public attention than his artwork.

The purposefully-sought notoriety led to broad public recognition and many purchases of his works by people from all walks of life. Symbolism Dalí employed extensive symbolism in his work. For instance, the hallmark soft watches that first appear in The Persistence of Memory suggest Einstein's theory that time is relative and not fixed.The idea for clocks functioning symbolically in this way came to Dalí when he was staring at a runny piece of Camembert cheese during a hot day in August. The elephant is also a recurring image in Dalí's works. It first appeared in his 1944 work Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening. The elephants, inspired by Gian Lorenzo Bernini's sculpture base in Rome of an elephant carrying an ancient obelisk,are portrayed "with long, multi-jointed, almost invisible legs of desire" along with obelisks on their backs. Coupled with the image of their brittle legs, these encumbrances, noted for their phallic overtones, create a sense of phantom reality. "The elephant is a distortion in space," one analysis explains, "its spindly legs contrasting the idea of weightlessness with structure."... I am painting pictures which make me die for joy, I am creating with an absolute naturalness, without the slightest aesthetic concern, I am making things that inspire me with a profound emotion and I am trying to paint them honestly. —Salvador Dalí, in Dawn Ades, Dalí and Surrealism.

The egg is another common Dalíesque image. He connects the egg to the prenatal and intrauterine, thus using it to symbolize hope and love;it appears in The Great Masturbator and The Metamorphosis of Narcissus. Various animals appear throughout his work as well: ants point to death, decay, and immense sexual desire; the snail is connected to the human head (he saw a snail on a bicycle outside Freud's house when he first met Sigmund Freud); and locusts are a symbol of waste and fear. Dalí was a versatile artist, not limiting himself only to painting in his artistic endeavors. Some of his more popular artistic works are sculptures and other objects, and he is also noted for his contributions to theatre, fashion, and photography, among other areas.