The Role of Emotion on Decision making.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Friendship, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Friendship

Friendship Well-Known Member

How do emotions affects our decisions ? Well.. It could be understood by two kinda thinking system we do have. 1st is heuristic system of thinking n another is "wait a minute" kinda thinking system. Second one is obviously slow but productive for inventions, discoveries and rational thinking. The Heuristic kinda thinking system evolved with time and is helping adapting to environmental change. Though this is well tuned to mind evolved during our ancestral stay at Savannah. It has been studied that emotion at lower level of life played vital role in survival. Emotions r basically tuned to satisfaction of fundamental instincts. Emotion r mostly adapted to earlier environment n wired to survival motivation. But it becomes irrational in modern world ambience n fall victim to supernormal stimuli too. Irrationality originates when these emotion which has ancient functions, try to adapt to complexities of world today we have.

2. Jodagr

Jodagr Active Member FCN Regular

And this world is pretty screwed up right now with the biases from heuristic thinking. Confirmation, hindsight, anchoring, misinformation, halo, and self-serving are a few biases can fuck up our decision making process and cause you picking but the best alternative. By the way, thanks for a great post Friendship!

CosmicGypsy92 and Friendship like this.
  3. Friendship

Friendship Well-Known Member

Thanks Jodagr!!! :)

Jodagr likes this.
  4. Billy_B

Billy_B Well-Known Member FCN Regular

When Emotions Make Better Decisions - Antonio Damasio

Friendship likes this.
  5. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Simply put, humans are emotional creatures and of course that drives decisions both consciously and unconsciously.

Yullow and Friendship like this.
  6. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,036⛀
    Thought you were gone dickwad

7. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,036⛀
    Not for me I'm half Vulcan!

8. Vey

Vey Guest

At the point of decision, emotions are very important for choosing. In fact even with what we believe are logical decisions, the very point of choice is arguably always based on emotion. I used to love Jim Camp’s lectures on this subject many years ago about negotiation processes as a student. He treated the role of emotion in decision making in a very specific way. Lots to say on this subject, but you’re interested probably because it’s your field of activity (?) …I might be wrong but it seems so… Damasio studies are also interesting. I’m talking about his studies about people with damage in the part of the brain where emotions are generated. He found that they seemed normal, except that they were not able to feel emotions. But they all had something in common, they couldn’t make decisions. On the other hand, think about love. Love is a strange emotion. It is ever evolving. Lust is transient. With time, one realizes that love and togetherness are two different things. Very few people are lucky enough to experience the two emotions simultaneously. Nice argumentation might result anyway @Friendship

9. SexyAsianBitch

SexyAsianBitch Forum & Chat Moderator Staff Member FCN Regular

Money:
    57,479⛀
    emotions do play a heavy role in decision making, but I was always taught to make logical decisions and not rely on emotions. Emotions can be false but logic is never wrong

CosmicGypsy92 likes this.
  10. CosmicGypsy92

CosmicGypsy92 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Well on a personal note, what has always intrigued me was, how the brain and the mind of human works and the actions that are left behind. Given the fact that we, Homo-sapiens, are mammals who have always relied on various emotions like fear, ego, love, etc., that gave way to establishing rules of the game when it came to survival. We mastered the skill to Adapt to the situations and scenarios. Think of it, that's how people from a similar tribe/race, got together and created societies for themselves where the aim was to stick together and face adversary. Passing on of Information was also a vital part in our survival. And now comes the part where I'd like to quote what @Friendship wrote above, - " Emotions r basically tuned to satisfaction of fundamental instincts. Emotion r mostly adapted to earlier environment n wired to survival motivation." This is accurately apt from many point of views, not to forget how we are all given respective identities in the society. When you are a child, you have no idea as to what and how the world works. You're given a name and a character which helps one identify or represent oneself in the society, a language taught, that later helps in communication and adapting. Without them a person is basically non-existent. All this info is then stored in our brains which is simply another complex organ, where millions of neurons are involved; neural activity leading to electrical synapses, that keep taking place on the inside. I believe neural activity(discharging of hormones like dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin,etc via electrical synapses) is responsible for emotions and the way we take control of situation. A thought, an Idea. What a powerful weapon a Human can possess., Isn't it? The neural activity in the brain leads to formation of thoughts and memories and this again is governed by emotions as instincts. Instincts that are shared and manipulated by both the 'conscious' and the 'subconscious' mind. Speaking of the subconscious mind reminds me of Dreams. Well not to forget that Dreams do play a major role in decision making but that again is a topic for another day.
    I'd like to conclude by stating that every decision we take, is backed by some form of emotion, logic or desire. What we gotta keep in check is how we deal with being subjective or objective, being rational or irrational. The mind, body and soul has to be well balanced and aligned when it comes to energies and their frequencies. Ultimately, every action has a consequence.

Friendship likes this.
  11. Sarah_56

Sarah_56 Guest

Being both introspective and obsessively thoughtful, I am intrigued by how my own character is so careful and cautious and reflective almost always, but then I can just be totally overtaken with an emotional response that overwhelms rational caution so that I behave with utter recklessness.

SaschaDom likes this.