Time Travel - The Truth

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Queenkit1st, Apr 14, 2018.

?

Do you agree/understand

1. I understand and agree

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I understand but disagree

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. I don’t understand but I have a view which doesn’t seem to match your own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don’t understand - make it simpler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Queenkit1st

Queenkit1st Active Member

Money:
    1,772⛀
    Ok - let’s all admit it - film producers around the globe have developed more theories for time travel than scientists. Does that mean that scientists have been beaten in brainpower?

Nope! Now I will tell you why your childhood dreams were all fake!
    (Not all of them - just the time-travel related ones)

Picture this...

• Time is infinite
    • Future human can travel in time using machines
    • If time is infinite then an infinite time machines will have been made before the end
    • And infinite time machines will have been used
    • This means that there is a definite chance of a time machine landing in your precise vicinity at this exact moment
    • Actually since we are dealing with infinity, it stands to reason that an infinite amount of time machines will be in this precise time in your exact vicinity
    • Now think
    • Can you see any?
    • No?
    • I thought not
    There is the argument that future people will be too clever to think it reasonable, but there will always be that 0.01% of people that are troublemakers and therefore would do it regardless of their reason. And we all know that 0.01% of infinity is in fact also infinity.

This may be a bit off topic, but I would like to clear up a little disagreement between some people. In the film Time Machine it states that you cannot change the past but you can look into the future and change it by altering the present. I wish to mention that the present is how far into the future you have been. Therefore as soon as you see the future or experience it, changing the present is the same as altering the past and therefore will cause the same paradox caused if you try to alter the past.
    (Watch the film or read a summary for more info)

I hope this answered the big question and wish to hear your view...

But I would like you to scrutinise my thread not give me your own opinion: that is why I created a new thread rather than entering this on the other time travel thread.

I also wish to state that I am speaking solely of time travel; the act of slowing down time is, I believe, already proven. And also, traveling forward in time is what we are doing currently at a rate of 1 second per second. Speeding it up significantly would be what we call travelling into the future which is true. The only folly is in travelling backwards in time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Samuelsan likes this.
  2. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    I apologise sincerely for ruining the dreams of movie producers and budding scientists alike!

Samuelsan likes this.
  3. OneKnight

OneKnight Guest

The flaw I percieve in your arguement is in point 3.
    Just because Time is infinite, it does not necessarily follow that there will be an infinite number of Time Machines as machines also occupy space, which leads on to the question of whether the Universe is infinite or not.
    For your possible entertainment and edification, The BBc produce a radio program called the Infinite Monkey Cage (hosted by Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince, comedian). They did an episode on Infinity, well worth a listen.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w/episodes/downloads
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03kpy5c

4. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    I will listen. The argument is that if something is possible to happen multiple times (and potentially infinite times) it will happen infinite times because that is what infinity is: a place for everything to happen infinite times.

This is how it is worded:
    In an infinite space or infinite time, everything will happen infinite times but with infinite improbability for it to happen in a finite distance from you. As long as it is mathematically and physically possible (a four sided triangle won’t happen)

5. Stanthropical

Stanthropical De̸͍̺̺̓̾m̶̶̶ͫͫod̶̶̶ͩͩu̶̶̶ͧͧLaᴛ̶̶ⷮo̵̢̦̟͋̾̓r

Money:
    203,630⛀
    Worded where? Cite the source.

It seems like this an exercise of cherry-picking various internet findings and pitching them against internet findings of others. Not exactly a productive discussion.

6. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    Actually I did zero research specifically

I wouldn’t call it useless as this is the final and definite answer to time travel.
    Sorry... I’m mistaken... the definite and final answer is.......

No

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. OneKnight

OneKnight Guest

I still feel your assumption is flawed, that assumption being that everything will happen an infinite number of times, a finite number, I accept, everything will happen, but not an infinite number of times.

Queenkit1st likes this.
  8. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    I’m just saying, if there is enough time for everything to happen (of which there are infinite) then that would be infinitely long time... no?

It therefore concludes that if everything will happen then it will happen infinite times because the time is eternal.

up2us2gethornyx and OneKnight like this.
  9. You might have an infinite chance of something to happen but if it is impossible by the laws of nature actually don’t have any chance. As you can only choose from the actual possibilities. If you did have an infinite number of chances then granted you would eventually be correct but not anything that is possible.

10. I think you might remember that the time travel we see is relative and when you say we can’t go back but forward it is actually the other way round. By relatively as we get faster and move relatively to our surroundings we are experiencing time at a slower rate than anything at a different speed and it gets exponentially slower to objects near the speed of light. You have to go at technology impossible speeds at present to be able to see any real time changes. Although it is by slowing of your time that you are going forward when you eventually stop accelerating and then as you say have gone relatively forward in time.

11. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    I agree completely!
    I am going to make a revised version that will challenge all who read. I’m sure you are up to the task.

12. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    It has been made now - go check it out!