Will nuclear weapons be the death of us... or the life?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Queenkit1st, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Queenkit1st

Queenkit1st Active Member

Money:
    1,772⛀
    For many years we have all seen nuclear weapons as the weapon of ultimate destruction - the weapon that will end humanity.
    But, despite all this, a single volcano can produce 13,000 times the power of little boy (the destroyer of Hiroshima) and this is tiny compared to a hit from a half-kilometre asteroid!
    A small asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs and a slightly larger one will wipe out humanity. Our only hope is to create a nuclear missile that will produce enough force (1000+ megatons) to knock an asteroid off course or even destroy it if it’s small enough.
    Does this make you feel gratitude for nuclear manufacturing or would you rather that it stopped even if it means definite total extinction?
    What must humanity do to survive?

mostafox likes this.
  2. Vey

Vey Guest

Exploring the practical possibility to set up away from Earth and move to the Goldilocks zone.
    Me loved Hawking ;)

3. MannyMan

MannyMan Well-Known Member

Money:
    17,875⛀
    One word MUTANTS.... Two Words X-MEN..... BRING IT!!

4. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    We do not have the space travel to get there and we have no idea of the gases that make up its air. Too much effort.

5. Adapt like all life but even if the is no mass extinctions coming soon. We will not be the same humans as we are now so life like ours is not going to stay like this very long.

6. We will have to leave at some point that is a definite. I don’t have any idea what human society is headed for even in 100 years so it’s pointless looking that far ahead.

7. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    I fear that the means by which we leave will be the means by which we survive. We will flourish on a colossal space station that will soar through space and harvest resources from asteroids and water from comets.

up2us2gethornyx likes this.
  8. You are right on survival and I am sure it will be the survival of our species rather than society. Personally I am not confident in us to last long enough as we are now to become technologically advanced enough to leave the earth and even as a species to survive until it is needed. I hope so though!

9. We actually do know what gases make up other planets in the solar system as it is easy to tell by the colors of its atmosphere. Every gas has a unique signature and it has been in the news recently that it is now going to be possible to know what ex-planets atmospheres are like but I am not sure of the way yet. Also, there are only about 100 elements and then only 20 significant and the same chemistry applies everywhere. You can be sure more water CO2 methane and the like make up practically every atmosphere especially in the Goldilocks zone as this is where water is liquid.

10. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    118 elements 80 of them are significant. My point is that the Goldilocks planet is barely close enough to make out let alone to be able to realise atmospheric composition.

11. I agree we are just too far away from anywhere! I meant significant to survive and only 94 odd exist in nature anyway the rest are synthetic and beyond around 100 are never going to exist beyond experimentally.

12. Queenkit1st

Money:
    1,772⛀
    Mhm - although we are creating a radio telescope the size of a satellite orbit. It will answer many questions.

13. If you have a quick look on Wikipedia there is info on exp planets and the atmospheres

14. How? Sorry not trying to be rude!

15. xPalla

xPalla New Member

Money:
    48⛀
    Honestly humanity as we speak of won't survive into "the future." We'll either be hybridized with technology or just be fully integrated into a non organic container, or simply mutated so far beyond homo sapiens that the term won't apply.

No human body can live a lifetime in zero gravity, even with break of artificial gravity. We'd shrink and crumple and eventually our muscles would atrophy off our body - meaning the only effective way to live beyond Earth is either faster than light travel, stasis ships, or embryo ships. We're likely to destroy ourselves before the next big rock falls in our backyard also, despite us being in the 'extinction event zone' so personally I'd opt into controlling nuclear science and fully disarming the entire planet.

There is no gain trying to further nuclear science with mindset global leaders have. It's all paranoia and air tight security, until our leaders can plan for the future as one unified body there is literally no point advancing such a devastating power.

toodeep likes this.
  16. lostinthedarkness

lostinthedarkness Well-Known Member

Money:
    500⛀
    there is no life with the word "weapon "

17. MannyMan

MannyMan Well-Known Member

Money:
    17,875⛀
    Weapon X also Gamma Radiation on both human and Spiders may be what saves us all..... or so I've read! :D

18. toodeep

toodeep Guest

First, someone needs to make a "flat earther" section. i would laugh my ass off. So, with neuclear, its kind of like the law. people are not so quick to do dumb shit when their is a steep penalty to pay. but on the other hand, if one goes off in the wrong place, then i think they all would go off at eachother. so im divided in my thoughts about having them. to me, the world seems increasingly schizophrenic, and paranoid, so, unless they take some pills or smoke some weed and chill out, it could get bad, and IF it gets bad, i see a new super power alliance forming amongst the most powerful nations who rule the rest very closely, for the sake of controling the direction and safety of our future here. long or short as it may be.

19. Dcdevon

Dcdevon Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    59,043⛀
    I think that mutually assured destruction makes it unlikely. But unlikely things can and do happen so I wouldn't say it never will happen.