Confession My mother

Sarah_1964

Resident
FCN Regular
I wrote this becausee I needed to.

There is no titillation, no sexy side, to this - so don't read it if that is what you seek.

I just needed to write it.

My mother

I first met my mother when I was 18.

She was then 33. I am a mathematician but you don't need to be, to do that math.

I was 'given away' at birth: a euphemism, as is so much to do with teenage prgenancy, what leads to it, and its far-reaching effects.

I was lucky: the London boroughs in those days farmed us children 'in care' out to children's homes in leafy suburbs, and I lived a life of idyllic happiness, loved and looked after, cared for, with lots of foster brothers and sisters most of whom remain close friends to this day. I was 'not suitable for adoption' - a consequence, my lovely foster mother once admitted in an unguarded moment, of my oddity: 'eerily still' was her phrase, which sticks with me even now because it does describe the odd quiet introspection or hyperfocus into which I sometimes do fall. Life in the home, for me, was lovely - lively, lots of friends, diverse - and long summers cycling into the countryside, romping in fields, lighting fires in the woods, swimming in rivers and the big pond. In a way I never grew up - I remain the 'tomboy' I then was, and I am lucky that my professional life plays into that and gives me opportunities to get out and about, to explore and go on expeditions and do exciting and novel things with amazing people.

Not all my foster brothers and sisters were so lucky: I, being 'given away' at birth, never experienced the pain of remembering that experience, or of losing my parents. We were a diverse and varied bunch - few like me were permanent so some came and went as their family circumstances changed. One of my foster brothers became a Chief Constable of an English police force - another was imprisoned at 19 for murder. My eery stillness perhaps helped me, because I sort of accepted it - even to the extent of somehow not being able to feel their pain or comprehend the chaos that raged within them.

But I meant to write about my mother, not about me.

I started to think about my mother when I met the man who was to be my husband. Aged 17 when we met, I discovered how it is to be loved for myself, unconditionally, without reservation, and for that love not to be shared between a dozen other foster siblings. I knew my mother had been 15 when she gave birth to me, but nothing else. I also knew that my father was unidentified - one of many possible candidates. I had not thought what those things meant. So I determined, when I turned 18, to exercise my right to find my mother - to let her know that I was ready to make contact - and I did so.

I was not prepared for who I met - nor for the many years since when we have been mother and daughter but in such an odd disjointed way that there has been as much pain and hate in it as love.

I wanted, I think, to find that my mother loved me. She did not. In her eyes, I think I was the final cause of the ruination of her life: my birth, and subsequently being 'taken away' from her the last trigger that sent her over the edge to irredeemable life failure. I suspect she was unfair in that - she was by what accounts I heard a drug-addled exploited wreck before I was even a fertilized egg - but I understand it. I canot bear even to imagine giving away one of my own dearly loved children: and I do understand a little of what it is to feel your mind seem to be about to break - I was lucky enough to have people who loved and cared for me, to bring me through it but she was alone, and in the midst of evil. My meeting her as I did - with a supportive fiancee, a happy fulfilled life, healthy and well - that must have hurt her by the contrast to herself, and I can see that she might have hated what I had and she had not.

We reached an accomodation: she hates me and I hate her. No, all joking(?) aside we have a relationship that is based on birth not nurture - by the time I met her, ironically, when I had just emerged from 'care' she was entered into it and has never left. When I say she is mad as a bat and a bitch to boot, I do so with some affection. We talk, by telephone, most evenings - surreal conversations usually but interspersed with moments of clarity and even affection.

I am not shocked by much on this forum. It can be brutally crude - and genuinely nasty, but I can let that flow past me. But I am shocked - horrified - by how many men ask me if I would like to 'play' underage. For clarity, let me state - I would not. It sickens me - and unlike other perversions that I find not to my taste, there is no mitigation to that sick horror. I am not outraged by it - not angry, or disgusted - I am sickened, to the depths of my soul. The horror at what such exploitation can wreak, the destruction of real lives, the years of ramifications that roll on and on.

My mother might have been a real mother, had someone not done that to her.
 
Last edited:
Wow that was powerful. I admire the stamina it must have taken to first compose and then share with us idiots. It made me think of the butterfly effect and how if it wasn’t true it wouldn’t be a cliché. We each, in our every actions effect those around us, slightly or proudly, in the short term or immeasurably. Your tale for me, anyway, is strong reminder to strive to be good and do good. None of us are an island. Thank you for having the strength to share.
 
Last edited:
Wow that was powerful. I admire the stamina it must have taken to first compose and then share with us idiots.... Thank you for having the strength to share.

None* of you are idiots :)

I love the wild unrestrained lunacy here - it reminds me of racing to see who could jump off the highest branch into the river, just because it was crazy - 'real' life could do with more of the raw unfiltered madness we have here.

And it didn't take strength for me to write - I borrowed that from you lot because you make me feel included.

*'None' here may be an exaggeration...
 
I wrote this becausee I needed to.

There is no titillation, no sexy side, to this - so don't read it if that is what you seek.

I just needed to write it.

My mother

I first met my mother when I was 18.

She was then 33. I am a mathematician but you don't need to be, to do that math.

I was 'given away' at birth: a euphemism, as is so much to do with teenage prgenancy, what leads to it, and its far-reaching effects.

I was lucky: the London boroughs in those days farmed us children 'in care' out to children's homes in leafy suburbs, and I lived a life of idyllic happiness, loved and looked after, cared for, with lots of foster brothers and sisters most of whom remain close friends to this day. I was 'not suitable for adoption' - a consequence, my lovely foster mother once admitted in an unguarded moment, of my oddity: 'eerily still' was her phrase, which sticks with me even now because it does describe the odd quiet introspection or hyperfocus into which I sometimes do fall. Life in the home, for me, was lovely - lively, lots of friends, diverse - and long summers cycling into the countryside, romping in fields, lighting fires in the woods, swimming in rivers and the big pond. In a way I never grew up - I remain the 'tomboy' I then was, and I am lucky that my professional life plays into that and gives me opportunities to get out and about, to explore and go on expeditions and do exciting and novel things with amazing people.

Not all my foster brothers and sisters were so lucky: I, being 'given away' at birth, never experienced the pain of remembering that experience, or of losing my parents. We were a diverse and varied bunch - few like me were permanent so some came and went as their family circumstances changed. One of my foster brothers became a Chief Constable of an English police force - another was imprisoned at 19 for murder. My eery stillness perhaps helped me, because I sort of accepted it - even to the extent of somehow not being able to feel their pain or comprehend the chaos that raged within them.

But I meant to write about my mother, not about me.

I started to think about my mother when I met the man who was to be my husband. Aged 17 when we met, I discovered how it is to be loved for myself, unconditionally, without reservation, and for that love not to be shared between a dozen other foster siblings. I knew my mother had been 15 when she gave birth to me, but nothing else. I also knew that my father was unidentified - one of many possible candidates. I had not thought what those things meant. So I determined, when I turned 18, to exercise my right to find my mother - to let her know that I was ready to make contact - and I did so.

I was not prepared for who I met - nor for the many years since when we have been mother and daughter but in such an odd disjointed way that there has been as much pain and hate in it as love.

I wanted, I think, to find that my mother loved me. She did not. In her eyes, I think I was the final cause of the ruination of her life: my birth, and subsequently being 'taken away' from her the last trigger that sent her over the edge to irredeemable life failure. I suspect she was unfair in that - she was by what accounts I heard a drug-addled exploited wreck before I was even a fertilized egg - but I understand it. I canot bear even to imagine giving away one of my own dearly loved children: and I do understand a little of what it is to feel your mind seem to be about to break - I was lucky enough to have people who loved and cared for me, to bring me through it but she was alone, and in the midst of evil. My meeting her as I did - with a supportive fiancee, a happy fulfilled life, healthy and well - that must have hurt her by the contrast to herself, and I can see that she might have hated what I had and she had not.

We reached an accomodation: she hates me and I hate her. No, all joking(?) aside we have a relationship that is based on birth not nurture - by the time I met her, ironically, when I had just emerged from 'care' she was entered into it and has never left. When I say she is mad as a bat and a bitch to boot, I do so with some affection. We talk, by telephone, most evenings - surreal conversations usually but interspersed with moments of clarity and even affection.

I am not shocked by much on this forum. It can be brutally crude - and genuinely nasty, but I can let that flow past me. But I am shocked - horrified - by how many men ask me if I would like to 'play' underage. For clarity, let me state - I would not. It sickens me - and unlike other perversions that I find not to my taste, there is no mitigation to that sick horror. I am not outraged by it - not angry, or disgusted - I am sickened, to the depths of my soul. The horror at what such exploitation can wreak, the destruction of real lives, the years of ramifications that roll on and on.

My mother might have been a real mother, had someone not done that to her.
 
Thanks for writing that. It made me sit down and think about many things, and many facets of each of those things. It covered so many different aspects as the outcome of one occasion.
Your account also reminds me of what I have seen myself - whether it be from a distance or from somebody who is close to me.

In general (also referring to somewhat similar circumstances involving other people) - the outcome of something which should not have happened did not only ruin one life, but often enough several - concurrently and sometimes the damage continues to the next generation.
 
I wrote this becausee I needed to.

There is no titillation, no sexy side, to this - so don't read it if that is what you seek.

This is powerful. Self examination is key to survival and endurance.

Thanks for sharing your writing.

I just needed to write it.

My mother

I first met my mother when I was 18.

She was then 33. I am a mathematician but you don't need to be, to do that math.

I was 'given away' at birth: a euphemism, as is so much to do with teenage prgenancy, what leads to it, and its far-reaching effects.

I was lucky: the London boroughs in those days farmed us children 'in care' out to children's homes in leafy suburbs, and I lived a life of idyllic happiness, loved and looked after, cared for, with lots of foster brothers and sisters most of whom remain close friends to this day. I was 'not suitable for adoption' - a consequence, my lovely foster mother once admitted in an unguarded moment, of my oddity: 'eerily still' was her phrase, which sticks with me even now because it does describe the odd quiet introspection or hyperfocus into which I sometimes do fall. Life in the home, for me, was lovely - lively, lots of friends, diverse - and long summers cycling into the countryside, romping in fields, lighting fires in the woods, swimming in rivers and the big pond. In a way I never grew up - I remain the 'tomboy' I then was, and I am lucky that my professional life plays into that and gives me opportunities to get out and about, to explore and go on expeditions and do exciting and novel things with amazing people.

Not all my foster brothers and sisters were so lucky: I, being 'given away' at birth, never experienced the pain of remembering that experience, or of losing my parents. We were a diverse and varied bunch - few like me were permanent so some came and went as their family circumstances changed. One of my foster brothers became a Chief Constable of an English police force - another was imprisoned at 19 for murder. My eery stillness perhaps helped me, because I sort of accepted it - even to the extent of somehow not being able to feel their pain or comprehend the chaos that raged within them.

But I meant to write about my mother, not about me.

I started to think about my mother when I met the man who was to be my husband. Aged 17 when we met, I discovered how it is to be loved for myself, unconditionally, without reservation, and for that love not to be shared between a dozen other foster siblings. I knew my mother had been 15 when she gave birth to me, but nothing else. I also knew that my father was unidentified - one of many possible candidates. I had not thought what those things meant. So I determined, when I turned 18, to exercise my right to find my mother - to let her know that I was ready to make contact - and I did so.

I was not prepared for who I met - nor for the many years since when we have been mother and daughter but in such an odd disjointed way that there has been as much pain and hate in it as love.

I wanted, I think, to find that my mother loved me. She did not. In her eyes, I think I was the final cause of the ruination of her life: my birth, and subsequently being 'taken away' from her the last trigger that sent her over the edge to irredeemable life failure. I suspect she was unfair in that - she was by what accounts I heard a drug-addled exploited wreck before I was even a fertilized egg - but I understand it. I canot bear even to imagine giving away one of my own dearly loved children: and I do understand a little of what it is to feel your mind seem to be about to break - I was lucky enough to have people who loved and cared for me, to bring me through it but she was alone, and in the midst of evil. My meeting her as I did - with a supportive fiancee, a happy fulfilled life, healthy and well - that must have hurt her by the contrast to herself, and I can see that she might have hated what I had and she had not.

We reached an accomodation: she hates me and I hate her. No, all joking(?) aside we have a relationship that is based on birth not nurture - by the time I met her, ironically, when I had just emerged from 'care' she was entered into it and has never left. When I say she is mad as a bat and a bitch to boot, I do so with some affection. We talk, by telephone, most evenings - surreal conversations usually but interspersed with moments of clarity and even affection.

I am not shocked by much on this forum. It can be brutally crude - and genuinely nasty, but I can let that flow past me. But I am shocked - horrified - by how many men ask me if I would like to 'play' underage. For clarity, let me state - I would not. It sickens me - and unlike other perversions that I find not to my taste, there is no mitigation to that sick horror. I am not outraged by it - not angry, or disgusted - I am sickened, to the depths of my soul. The horror at what such exploitation can wreak, the destruction of real lives, the years of ramifications that roll on and on.

My mother might have been a real mother, had someone not done that to her.
 

Trending content

Back
Top