Exobiology and space discoveries

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by SaturnV, Feb 12, 2024.

?

Do you believe in existence of extraterrestrial life?

1. Yes i do

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No i dont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SaturnV

SaturnV New Member FCN Regular

Money:
    58⛀
    I pronose a thread to chat about recent scientifical discoveries concerning space and the search of extraterestrial life, i think it may be interesting to share about all that

2. EchoFly

EchoFly New Member FCN Regular

Money:
    115⛀
    Life outside of our planet is definitely a certainty but it's likely to be less exciting than what a lot of people would like as chances are significantly higher that we find existence of microbial life within our solar system than anything remotely similar to us. We would need to travel to much older galaxies to find anything more significant and that's just not even feasible at this point.

TheRoyalCunt likes this.
  3. SaturnV

Money:
    58⛀
    Yeah clearly life outside earth is certain. Earth aint unique in that sence. If like appeared here it must have done somewhere else in the solar galaxy. Tho i saw on some papers that the explosion of the biodiversity was correlated to the significant expand of our magnetosphere. Our magnetosphere suddenly became powerful enough and to sustain complex life due to changes in earth's core and in the same era complex life appeared. If on a planet old as the earth, life appeared at the same time but the magnetosphere of this planet became stable one billion years before us, it open so many possibilities

TheRoyalCunt likes this.
  4. SandraMaus

SandraMaus Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    8,319⛀
    My guess is that any advanced species out there is facing similar challenges as we do. Like distance. Just our own galaxy has about 1billion stars in it. But we are not able to send a human being to our next door neighbour star. And E.T. won't appear all of a sudden next to the moon in a big mother ship. I believe we might spot each other but it will be decades or a century until we can shake hands

5. SaturnV

Money:
    58⛀
    Yeah i also think the chalenge aint that musch find inhabited worlds but to find inhabited worlds where a civilisation has emerged in the same time as us. That's tricky cause complex life only made it to the civilisation after like 500million years or so.

There obviously is life out there in the cosmos but intelligent life is something else. Considering as you said that civilisations live long enough to colonize other planets, ofc. Maybe they disappear before as the fermi paradox says it

SandraMaus likes this.
  6. SandraMaus

SandraMaus Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    8,319⛀
    Or they started sending radio waves in our direction when we stopped listening for radio. The best option would be shooting a USB stick in a certain direction orbit a system until it's gets picked up.

7. SaturnV

Money:
    58⛀
    Lmao verry good metaphore lmao. It's a nice point of view too. U thinking abt the WoW! ?

8. Jamess20

Jamess20 New Member FCN Regular

Money:
    94⛀
    I think the Dark Forest Hypothesis is a really interesting one regarding this topic. Basically it states that no one wants to be the first to try and reach out because of a fear that a higher level technological civilization will come and wipe them out.

There's also the time scale you have to take into account. In the timeline of space, us existing is so small that it's almost incomprehensible so it'd be pretty rare for civilizations to live and grow at the same relative time on that scale.

EchoFly likes this.