the recurring site disconnect.....why?

Discussion in 'FreeChatNow Help & Support' started by BasicBastard, Dec 30, 2018.

1. BasicBastard

BasicBastard Member FCN Regular

Money:
    1,947⛀
    " I lost my pm's" is the constant cry from people... really love to know why it happens.
    I'm sure this has been asked before but seems that nobody has the connections to the right people who can fix this very annoying and unnecessary glitch. I see no reason why this site constantly has to disconnect or page refresh or whatever you wanna call it. That's some old or bad code that should easily be fixed so as not to happen anymore. This is 2019 ... not green screen 1982, this doesn't happen on 99% of any sites, why does it happen here?
    Site owner just don't give a rat's ass about fixing/improving the site ? Not enough people bitching about it to make someone do something? A little bit of both maybe?
    I dunno... just saying

2. Stanthropical

Stanthropical De̸͍̺̺̓̾m̶̶̶ͫͫod̶̶̶ͩͩu̶̶̶ͧͧLaᴛ̶̶ⷮo̵̢̦̟͋̾̓r

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Maybe it's your WiFi or device, or crappy modem, crappy internet connection.

I NEVER have those problems—neither on my PC at home, nor on my phone. In fact, I recently checked one user's idle uptime and it was 58 hours (on a cellular connection). I know another user who idles for hours at a time.

If not enough people are bitching about it, perhaps it's not a widespread issue. And if it's not a widesprea issue, there's no issue on FCN's end. Just saying.

3. Lupine

Lupine Guest

I've never had the site disconnect me and I've walked away from chat loads of time and even gone shopping. Come back and it's fine.

I've seen Guest accounts in chat say Hi and then in the same page post they lost all there PM's. To me it appears often to be attention seeking, in the line of girls rate my small cock...

4. Lakeside

Lakeside Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    112,922⛀
    I know the IT gurus will tell me it has nothing to do with it but...

I get less disconnects if I turn off the chatter list in the main chat.

Whether that is a contributing factor or whether its just been coincidence, you're guess is as good as mine.

Overall, my opinion, it seems to help.

Ls x

5. BasicBastard

BasicBastard Member FCN Regular

Money:
    1,947⛀
    What do you mean not enough people are bitching about it? Widespread? Don't you see people all the time saying "I lost all my pms"... or 'the page refreshed and lost all my messages' .... or "message me back if we were playing'.
    That means 1 person lost all their pms and all those pms lost her
    huh? Not enough people bitching about it? Widespread enough? How many times you see someone who says "I lost all my pm's",... or "page refreshed. lost my pm's"" . So if each person who lost their pm's..all the pm's see is '/chatterX has quit'...that seems like a real thing as I've had the disconnect with "reconnecting to client in 3 seconds repeated for a minute til it hooks back up and the chatroom bounces back scrolling live.
    People don't bitch other than to say they lost their active chats,maybe they've become complacent as just thinking it's some 'refresh' technology that just happens, and what do you expect for free? If it was a pay site people would probably be more apt to bitch about the issue, that if i'm paying I should have no site related disconnects .
    Comcast on a top toshiba laptop... nothing crappy... only this site does disconnect. Sometimes its hours between events... sometimes not.Widespread or not that seems like an issue connected with fcn that could easily be fixed by whoever can write code....but not enough squeaky wheels to urge a fix.... I'd go with that reason before going with 'fcn is godlike perfection and any site disconnect has nothing to do with the site'... gees it's not a military complex site with next gen connections with multiple fail safes to assure zero problems... its an old chat client program written and formatted for windows by people who couldnt get a job at microsoft and just tossed together a working chat platform, any lil issues are free and using java/adobe/whatever... and theres potential for problems . I get it,its not enough of a thing to do anything, deal with it

6. TacoBelle

TacoBelle Topless Taco Tuesdays! FCN Regular

Money:
    190,401⛀
    Tbf, Comcast is notoriously crappy.

7. BiCuriousKatie

BiCuriousKatie Well-Known Member

Money:
    2,460⛀
    I had this a lot this morning. Was very frustrating just had to keep refreshing.

8. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    You're adding to confusion and misinformation. "This morning" = not all the time. You have an unreliable connection. FCN has nothing to do with your connection, wherever the problem may lie between your device, all the way to physical location of FCN server.

9. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Sounds like an unstable connection. FCN has nothing to do with your connection's stability.

Do you understand what widespread means and the significance of its relevance when documented and actually present?

It's been written two years ago, from scratch . I've had some input on features and bugs with the person who wrote it.

If the disconnection problem were widespread, FCN wouldn't have 300,000+ users and tens of thousands of weekly users. I don't know how to explain this logic to you.

You need to re-read my first reply in this thread. FCN's chat client code has nothing to do with your unreliable connection.

10. BiCuriousKatie

BiCuriousKatie Well-Known Member

Money:
    2,460⛀
    Hi, i was just simply saying that i too was having a problem this morning nothing more not accusing anyone just simply letting the original poster know that they where not the only ones having a similar problem. I never once said it was FCN

11. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    The problem with your contribution to this thread is that it's vague and is more convolution to misinformation. It's not helpful. People don't understand the problems they're experiencing and will misinterpret your remark as supporting evidence to what they think is as an issue.

12. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Your connections to a web server go through thousands of miles of wires and some of them may be attached to partially corroded contacts, may be poorly grounded, be improperly insulated and experience interference—and that's just the wires. You then have the equipment which may be misconfigured somewhere, inadequate for traffic volume and overwhelmed (dropping packets/pings), overheating, experiencing chipset failures, interference, power loss, etc...

Things become even more complicated with WiFi and cellular connections. There are built-in fault mitigation measures in all sorts of hardware, but everything can't be perfect all the time.

Chat is a constant-on connection and if your device can't reach the server at some moment (and with too much data loss), your device will see that as a connection loss. Same thing on the server side—if your device doesn't respond to the server with "hey, I'm still connected," the server won't send "yo, you're still connected." All if that can be sabotaged by faulty infrastructure issues I mentioned above.

I don't experience these issues. If vast majority of people don't experience these issues, your issue lies on your end. Think about it.

13. fingernailsfanguy

fingernailsfanguy New Member FCN Regular

Money:
    702⛀
    I doubt that, it's happening with lots of people on different ISP's. Right now, for last few couple hours I've been on, I can not stay connected for 5 MINUTES without it crashing. It doesn't happen with any other chat rooms/web sites I'm connected to.

A lot of people are experiencing this, who's your ISP? Mine is FIOS, and this is only site/chat room I can't stay connected to constantly, other chats and IRC work just fine without this problem. Maybe you just don't want to admit the server can't handle the amount of chatters. I mean, the service is free, I thank you for that, but why would I (and other people) want to use something they can't even use because of the constant crashing?

14. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Not sure whether you know the difference between crashing and disconnecting. People from all over the world connect to this website, via all connections of all grades. I know users who stay connected for 30+ hours without disconnecting. I never experience disconnections, unless I'm on a mobile, sometimes.

The crappy route to the server isn't FCN's fault.

Maybe you just don't understand internet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  15. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    As a matter of fact, here:

[02/12 15:23:18] ******** is ***@chat.freechatnow.com * other/36
    [02/12 15:23:18] ******** is connecting from *@***
    [02/12 15:23:19] ******** is a registered nick
    [02/12 15:23:19] ******** has been idle 11hrs 28mins 11secs, signed on Tue Feb 12 03:55:04 2019

[02/12 15:23:34] ******** was ***@chat.freechatnow.com * other/36
    [02/12 15:23:34] ******** was connecting from *@***
    [02/12 15:23:34] ******** using chat.freechatnow.com Mon Feb 11 09:55:09 2019
    [02/12 15:23:34] End of WHOWAS

16. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Another user:

[02/12 15:30:39] *** is ***@chat.freechatnow.com * male/43
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** is connecting from ***@***
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** on #AdultChat #RoleplayChat
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** using chat.freechatnow.com Chat
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** is using modes +Gr
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** is a registered nick
    [02/12 15:30:39] *** has been idle 9hrs 49mins 58secs, signed on Tue Feb 12 05:40:38 2019

17. fingernailsfanguy

Money:
    702⛀
    Well, since it's happening with multiple people on multiple ISP's, and it doesn't happen with any other site I visit when I'm connected, certainly nowhere near this often. I'd use a few proxies (you don't allow VPN's, what about those) to try to take different routes to it and see if they disconnect as well.

18. Stanthropical

Money:
    209,884⛀
    Maybe hardware of your device is faulty or software buggy. I can stay connected for hours and hours--and I've showed to you people connected for hours.

19. Asclepius

Asclepius New Member

Money:
    5⛀
    Made an account to say this is happening to me too. I’ve tried it on two different devices each on three different networks. I like this site but it is basically unusable because of this

20. fingernailsfanguy

Money:
    702⛀
    I propose we do a little research here. For anyone who is having this problem what is your.......

1. ISP
    2. Web browser you are using
    3. I know this site's chat does not allow VPN's (well, at least the ones you can block) don't think proxies work either.
    4. Operating System, 32 or 64-bit
    5. Device- phone? laptop? Desktop?
    6. Has anyone tried doing a traceroute from yourself to this website to see if you are going through any common points/networks?

It may also be helpful to see the answers to these questions for people who it is NOT happening to. As for me

1. Verizon Fios
    2. Mozilla Firefox Quantum 66.0 64-bit
    3. I have one VPN I tried to use, I was told you don't allow them, so I just sign in directly.
    4. Windows 7 64 bit
    5. It's only happened on my desktop as that's the only device I've signed in with.
    6. Ok, let's try it to the dns of this site............, only 2 hops, from my router to the site address, hmm