Fav book series?

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by MsEvaline, Mar 25, 2018.

1. MsEvaline

MsEvaline Well-Known Member

Money:
    46,607⛀
    Looking to start something new. I've read these to name a few: HP, LOTR, The African Trilogy, The Unwind Dystology, The Giver Quartet

2. Lakeside

Lakeside Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    112,922⛀
    Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series. Jamie and Claire..

Ls x

3. JustifiedSinner

JustifiedSinner Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov my close second is The Expanse by James S.A. Corey...they're good if you like sci fi

Keyan and Quinn99 like this.
  4. JustifiedSinner

What's the fourth Giver book?

5. JustifiedSinner

What is that series about? Is that also a TV show?

6. Alpha-Wolf

Alpha-Wolf Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    17,507⛀
    Servant of the Shard was originally the third book in R.A. Salvatore's book series, Paths of Darkness, but was instead made the first book of The Sellswords Trilogy.

xyzrp likes this.
  7. MsEvaline

Money:
    46,607⛀
    Son

JustifiedSinner likes this.
  8. Lakeside

Money:
    112,922⛀
    The premise is, its set just after WW2. Claire is a nurse living and working in the UK helping the veterans convalesce after the traumas of war. During some free time, she takes a trip to Stonehenge. She just happens to arrive during there during an ancient Celtic 'Witching hour' and finds herself magically transported back in time to a time, just before the Jacobite uprising of 1745. On 16 April 1746, the Jacobite forces of Charles Edward Stuart were decisively defeated by loyalist troops commanded by William Augustus, the Duke of Cumberland near Inverness in the Scottish highlands, known as the battle of Culloden. Here, she meets Jamie, a Scot who had been wounded and but for her medical training, would have died of his wounds. A romance blossoms amongst all the political upheaval. She does manage a brief return to modern times, but decides to return on the next 'witching hour'.

The series then progresses, seeing the pair Emigrate to America, arriving around 1770, just prior to the War on Independence. There are many twists and turns and several good 'hooks' in the stories. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.
    The primary titles in chronological order are:
    Outlander
    Dragonfly in Amber
    Voyager
    Drums of Autumn
    The Fiery Cross.

There were other over-lapping short-stories/novellas, see: http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/chronology-of-the-outlander-series/

Ls x

Keyan, xyzrp and JustifiedSinner like this.
  9. MsEvaline

Money:
    46,607⛀
    Thanks alpha, I'll check it out

10. MsEvaline

Money:
    46,607⛀
    Thanks Lakeside! Historical fiction with time travel and a side of romance?! yes please

Silk-BG, JustifiedSinner and Lakeside like this.
  11. Lakeside

Money:
    112,922⛀
    I know what you mean. I am also a fan. The current wip manuscript is set in 1642-ish.

Its a fictional way of explaining how the Royal Exchequer funded the excesses of Henrietta Maria of France who as the child bride of Charles I, was Queen Consort of England, Scotland and Ireland. She almost bankrupted the English treasury with her grand-eloquent lifestyle. The story is the tale of the fight to restore honour and justice when the unscrupulous Exchequer sought to gain favour with the King by illegal means.

Ls x

12. JustifiedSinner

What's it about?

13. JustifiedSinner

Cool...that sounds interesting...I think I'm going to have to check it out from the library.

Lakeside likes this.
  14. Jinxy

Jinxy Guest

Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning
    There are about 11 books in this series now. they are classed as Urban Fantasy/ romance but do get quite hot.

15. Mehdi1367

Mehdi1367 New Member

Money:
    0⛀
    Hi babe

16. SeaPaganLady

SeaPaganLady Well-Known Member

Money:
    199,513⛀
    I love The Storm Light Archive Chronicles among other books it's kind of like Starwars but I prefer Star Trekk once a Trekkie always a Trekkie.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Silk-BG likes this.
  17. SeaPaganLady

Money:
    199,513⛀
    I feel very close to Shallan from The Storm Light Archive Chronicles because I grow kind of like her my mother divorced my father for no apparent reason and left when I was only three years old and he got very sick and there was nobody to take care of me so we both became homeless and I have on the streets with him off and on during my childhood and teen years. I grow up very loney and poor infact so poor that from ages 9 to 11 we lived in a old van and tiny trailer without electricity and no running water and we had no friends and familey to help us out. We stay in homeless shelters but not for long because the bigger white families need room so me and my father had to be put out because we are black. My mother was black and korean so I never really fitted in with the blacks because my personality and interests that got me picked on alot so much so I became ostracized for that along with being a quiet book worm and an artistic oriented black girl. I'am not that great of artist but I know my stuff and I'am very skilled with art materials whether I use them or not as long as it does no involve pottery or glass blowing or metal working I just don't have the expriance yet. Despite me and my father almost always being together we still don't get along well and most of the time we would go without talking to each other for days or even weeks and we are still that we because he is saying always something mean and abusive to me. If I was Shallan I would be a waterweaver (water/cold/Storm Manipulator/ a Soulweaver one who can control lifeforces and my hair would be blood red and one more thing I would be sexy so no old granny dresses for me.

18. Sexy_420_geek

Sexy_420_geek Well-Known Member

Its only a Duology, but Leigh Bardugo wrote Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. Set against the backdrop of her Grisha Trilogy, its about a group of ne'er do wells pulled together for a huge heist and the consequences that follow. Great, believable characters, strong story, well-paced action with a pinch of romance.

Quinn99 likes this.
  19. SeaPaganLady

Money:
    199,513⛀
    Is it only me that finds Dark Vader in his black uniform sexy lol I also love Dark Anakin.

20. Sexy_420_geek

Sexy_420_geek Well-Known Member

Lol Mona Bad Guys wear black. Its more slimming, I think. :p