Thoughtful Films

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by Goodgeek, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Goodgeek

Goodgeek Well-Known Member

Money:
    2,323⛀
    hey everyone, I am trying to find some new film choices. The requirement is they have to be thought provokers either through artisti means or intellectual ones.

For example, the film adaptation of Les Miserables has a lot of beautiful things besides just the music. The musical is filled with symbolism and thought provoking imagery.
    Ex Machina brings you to consider the very idea of what it means to be human.
    Another older film, Chocolat, is also filled with symbolism speaking to different parts of the lessons being taught in the film.

Any good ones you all know of?

2. Calazviel

Calazviel Guest

To be fair the kind of movies that you are talking about are becoming fewer and fewer as Hollywood no longer want to finance such productions. Though foreign cinema is still producing a lot of fantastic material or so I have been told since graduating I haven't really been able to keep up with it.

Hence there has been a real dearth in such little wonderments surfacing through Ex Machina is a great example from the last ten years. A couple of other examples that have really made me take notice over that period are Her (Spike Jonze) and The Tree of Life (Terence Malick) both of which left me pondering for long after I had seen them.

Samantha000 and Goodgeek like this.
  3. Vey

Vey Guest

Phantom Thread, Marjorie Prime, The Post....maybe ?

4. xyzrp

xyzrp Well-Known Member FCN Regular

I think Pursuit of Happyness is the one for me.

CosmicGypsy92 and Goodgeek like this.
  5. Goodgeek

Goodgeek Well-Known Member

Money:
    2,323⛀
    I lived that one. And great choice btw

xyzrp likes this.
  6. Poedoyle

Poedoyle Member

Money:
    304⛀
    Kubrick is always a good choice. All of his films necessitate a nice sigh and a few moments of reflection after finishing them. Paths of Glory would probably be the film that has the most "heart" though.

Peacecountry likes this.
  7. Heidiwil

Heidiwil Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    34,298⛀
    Dark and by no means theatrical but the movie Thinner by Steven King. I found it to be very thought provoking and the leading man did an amazing job playing the physical role in real life!

8. Runswithscissors17

Runswithscissors17 Active Member

Money:
    1,056⛀
    I have long been a fan of Casablanca as thoughtful and fun film....
    I like the filming of it...the interplay between the characters... some of the lines are true classics ... and not to forget to mention that I have always have a crush on Ingrid Bergman....:D

9. Calazviel

Calazviel Guest

Yes and talking about imagery it's still quite fresh in my mind nearly two decades after having first seen it.

Heidiwil likes this.
  10. Peacecountry

Peacecountry Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    7,155⛀
    I found "Gran Torino" by Clint Eastwood to be quite thought-provoking as it pertains to the changing landscape of suburban America and how it views the family dynamic and racial differences in the modern world.

Samantha000 likes this.
  11. Heidiwil

Heidiwil Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    34,298⛀
    Same here! :eek:

12. Samantha000

Samantha000 Well-Known Member

Everything about David Lynch!

CosmicGypsy92 and Calazviel like this.
  13. Calazviel

Calazviel Guest

Besides Fire Walk With Me that shit still terrifies me to this day, amazing as it is.

14. CosmicGypsy92

CosmicGypsy92 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

What about Inception?

Have you ever pondered as to how we can never be in a position to apprehend our first(birth) and last moments(death). Synonymous to that of a Dream process, innit?

So is this all a dream and you wake up tomorrow as a 2 month old baby? +_+

15. Samantha000

Haha fire walk with me is only a second thing to lead twin peaks, that’s nothing! Go for inland empire!

My fav is mulholland dr. Best picture of 21 century! Is listed!

16. Calazviel

Calazviel Guest

I've watched them all (besides Dune and Eraserhead) and yes Mulholland is excellent just something about Fire Walk With Me at the time of my life that I watched it that just got right under my skin.

17. Samantha000

I’m curious, now.

I love twin peaks, first season. So bizarre. Brave at heart! If you don’t know oz you can’t understand the movie.

I love bizarre things that are actually very cool and good! I love the twisted surrealist thematic because I can think, in beyond senses.