Europe and U.K. What's really going on in France?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Saximony, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Male_uk

Male_uk Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    11,128⛀
    Fucking hell they've developed a time machine to look into the future!

It's like the Minority Report!

Lupine likes this.
  2. Saximony

Saximony Fisherman Lumberjack FCN Regular

Money:
    34,313⛀
    More trouble over there...thoughts and prayers no one gets hurt.

3. Tdp06

Tdp06 Sneaky French Fry FCN Regular

Money:
    102,914⛀
    Why?

4. quietfem

quietfem Guest

the rich get richer and control the politics,we get the crusts that are left and have ro be trhankfull,we will never laearn.

5. FireflyEyes

FireflyEyes Well-Known Member FCN Regular

^^^ I don't know what that is all about...but back to the thread topic of "What is really going on in France?" I'm curious about this poor teacher...M. Paty...but more about this issue of free speech...is that what it comes down to?
    It is difficult to really understand from what bits and bobs get taken up in the International English news. @Tdp06 How are the "native" , if I can call them that, French population feeling/thinking regarding the teacher's methods of teaching?

Tdp06 likes this.
  6. Penguin_Petey

Penguin_Petey Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    6,448⛀
    I just want to point out that by the time the Americans entered the war, the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) had been laying their collective lives on the line to try and free France from under the heel of oppression !!!!
    Not to mention all the Commonwealth and other nationalities that joined us in the fight to free you-

7. Tdp06

Tdp06 Sneaky French Fry FCN Regular

Money:
    102,914⛀
    It's about freedom of speech and fanatics with they perception of the coran. Mr. Paty was a historical and geographical teacher. During his class he showed a drawing of Mahomet, but this is forbidden by Islamic laws. Some started to complain on social media, insulting and threatening Paty, giving his full name and address.
    So this young terrorist saw this and decided to find him and did what he did.....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  8. FireflyEyes

FireflyEyes Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Yes, my heart goes out to his family, who must now live with his loss. Death is hardly fit punishment for expressing an opinion.

The fanaticism is terrifying. Watching it growing in Europe is devastating as well. That anyone feels so disempowered that violence is the only way they think they can make their voice heard is one of the on-going challenges in countries all over the globe at the moment. When we have the power to express ourselves, be listened to and heard, and have our opinions/beliefs held as valid (no matter how minority, controversial or other they are) we can become such engaged and positive participants in society.

I hope the discussion that comes out of his tragedy leads to a more inclusive and free society.

9. Penguin_Petey

Money:
    6,448⛀
    Surely, social media should also be held partly responsible for allowing his full name and address to be disclosed in that way.
    Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of democracy.

10. Penguin_Petey

Money:
    6,448⛀
    Having served alongside US forces all the French would need to do is find a way to switch off your tech and you´d be up shit creek lol.

Colinpullin and Tdp06 like this.
  11. Not the internet, only some people from the USA. But they have their own problem till January:)

FireflyEyes likes this.
  12. bpm1234

bpm1234 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    13,412⛀
    Mate, I pay tax rates at about 43% of my wage as well as additional taxation for a Medicare system on top, to keep our health care free and to a standard. That said, average wages are better than many and standard of living is good.
    Hope your safe and well. :)

Tdp06 likes this.
  13. Steg

Steg Guest

As an American you should thank the French. Without their intervention the 13 Colonies would be under the Crown.