Beyond the Profile Post

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by Lupine, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JustifiedSinner

JustifiedSinner Well-Known Member

What happened to this thread?
    Could it be restarted as a flash fiction thread?
    Perhaps someone comes up with a theme or topic and everyone comes up with a story 200 words or less?

2. PhantomStranger

PhantomStranger New Member

Money:
    102⛀
    Alright how about flash fiction about being hungry?

3. Howler02

Howler02 Member

Money:
    161⛀
    Not a writer but, here’s something I scribbled down a while back in a moment of discuss.

Given everything needed to exist with the ability to adapt to changing conditions. Evolving as time passes yet only thinking of themselves as if it all belongs to them. Arrogant towards the reality of life as they make changes that only help them. Always needing more than what has been given. Taking with no regards as to future effects to life. Believing they can repair the damage caused by their actions. Asking for forgiveness, help and understanding for things they choose to ignore as problems they have caused. Always wanting more and giving nothing back. Destroying theirs and everything's future because they believe it is their right to do so.

Who are they?

4. Phunmite

Phunmite New Member

Money:
    0⛀
  5. Howler02

Howler02 Member

Money:
    161⛀
    Hello

6. Lakeside

Lakeside Well-Known Member

Money:
    81,910⛀
    I already wrote this snippet once so you good people can suffer a screen shot for ease and convenience.

Chapter 11.JPG

7. Coxsure

Coxsure Active Member

Money:
    1,272⛀
    Salty prose.

8. VintageVixen

VintageVixen Well-Known Member

A Snippet of 60s Scoop Intergenerational Trauma

Anger is building inside of me, I feel it in my chest; my heart is beating faster. Hateful words are spinning inside of my head, desperately wanting to escape through my mouth to confront my mother. I take a deep breath in and blow it out, I know what’s coming.

My daughter is talking on the phone with her grandma, and drops the elephant in the room, “Nana, are you home yet? Can I come over for a visit?” I can’t hear what’s being said on the other end of the phone, however, rejection is clearly written across my daughter’s face. Without saying another word, my daughter hands the phone over to her brother.

I approach my pouting daughter who’s sitting on the couch, her arms are wrapped around her knees as she’s pulling them towards her chest. I sit down beside her and pull her into my side. “Well baby girl, what’s the verdict?” I prompt. She’s sullen, “She said that they’re still not home. She doesn’t know when they will come home.”

“I’m sorry you’re hurt,” I tell her, “if your nana truly wanted to be here with us, she would be. You’re amazing, it’s her loss that she’s missing out on time with you.” I kiss the top of my daughter’s head and focus on how my son’s conversation is going.

My son is quiet while holding the phone to his ear, and after saying “uh-huh” a couple of times he hangs up. He glances towards us and says, “She said they’re at the hotel again.” I feel disappointment lingering in the air, and those hateful words start spinning once more.

My mother is an addict. I grew up watching her recover, relapse, and repeat. Her battle with opiate addiction controls her life, and I know it will consume her. I have watched medics release her from death’s grip three times. My mother believes that my anger towards her stems from the trauma of her “near death” experiences, she’s wrong. My anger stems from her inability to save her own life. My anger stems from waiting in emergency rooms all my childhood so she could get her next fix. My anger stems from her inability to break the cycle of abuse. My anger stems from the lack of having a real mother!

I pat the empty spot on the couch beside me, motioning for my son to come and sit with us. He plunks himself down, and I pull him into my other side and kiss the top of his head. As the three of us are cuddled together, I gather my thoughts. I need to stop the hate building inside of me. There’s nothing I can do about my mother’s choices. Instead, I need to be the change that I seek. I need to support my children’s needs. I need to break the cycle of abuse. After all, I am a real mother and change will start with me.

I hope I made you feel something today.

9. PhantomStranger

PhantomStranger New Member

Money:
    102⛀
    Definitely did feel something. That story was intense and personal.
    I'm hoping it's not autobiographical.

VintageVixen likes this.
  10. VintageVixen

VintageVixen Well-Known Member

It’s the reality for many indigenous families, there’s many stories, and this is just a piece of one. I felt it would ring louder coming from a first person perspective then third.

Bdj1992 likes this.
  11. jamieeeeeeeee

jamieeeeeeeee New Member

Money:
    61⛀
    I'd love to join this thread

12. jamieeeeeeeee

jamieeeeeeeee New Member

Money:
    61⛀
    What are we writing about next?

13. Lupine

Lupine Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be about a subject. Write what you feel is your style.

14. jamieeeeeeeee

jamieeeeeeeee New Member

Money:
    61⛀
    OK, thanks

15. Lakeside

Lakeside Well-Known Member

Money:
    81,910⛀

The key to being a good writer is being able to come up with original ideas in detail then the writing part is easy. Its simply telling what happened in the idea.

Finding the idea is the most challenging part. Writing is just spelling, grammar and syntax and anyone can learn to do that.

What you can't learn about being a writer is having a head full of ideas. It cant be taught either. It has to come from within.

Ls x

jamieeeeeeeee and Lupine like this.