Fictional Characters that just rock.

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by D_go, Aug 1, 2018.

1. JackieTreehorn

JackieTreehorn Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Royal Tenenbaum
    He’s been a shit all his life, but he just owns it. All he's looking for is a little redemption…and maybe the chance to corrupt his grandkids.
    Probably my favorite Gene Hackman role, and he’s had a lot of good ones over the years.

D_go likes this.
  2. MikeRusty

MikeRusty Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    25,665⛀
    John Wick

D_go and Silk-BG like this.
  3. Lakeside

Lakeside Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    112,922⛀
    My interest would be in the strong female characters where I can find character traits I can use for my heroines. None are really of specific interest as I have no desire to duplicate other people's creations.

I'll mention a couple of examples and why.

Agent Romanoff - Marvel - Being a genre that targets 'super-heroes', to me, she is the 'most super' because she has no 'super-powers', just dedication and training. Her interrogation ability using her psychology skills and her perceived sexuality is a trait I can use.

Selene - Underworld. Her 'brutal' approach to dealing with the opposition is again, a trait I can use when creating my heroines.

Marguerite Blakeney - The Scarlet Pimpernel. Her vulnerability is again, a trait that works well in certain situations. This play by the Baroness Orczy pioneered the 'secret identity' theme that has become the staple of the modern 'super-hero' genre, Superman/Clark Kent, Batman/Bruce Wayne.. etc. Sir Percy Blakeney was the first to do this as far as I know.

There are none I consider the 'complete package' but rather offer parts of a persona I can use when creating a 'whole' character.

Ls x

D_go, Silk-BG, MannyMan and 1 other person like this.
  4. MannyMan

MannyMan Well-Known Member

Money:
    17,875⛀
    I LOVE Lakeside's answer!!!

5. Silk-BG

Silk-BG Well-Known Member FCN Regular

I think there's a blurred lines here between characters you just love and maybe those you admire, maybe want to be.

I read a fair bit and there's definitely been a surge of the strong female characters coming through in the genres I've been reading, for example

Anita Blake/ Meredith Gentry by Laurel k Hamilton. Both extremely, strong, capable, ruthless female leads, but with softer, human elements too. There's a host of others like Jane Yellow rock, Celaena Sardothien, and others.

Personally, I love the mischievous characters too, those devil may care, idgaf ones that just go for it, but are tempered by morals and ethics ... Some that spring to mind are Jack Reacher, Richard Rahl, Sparhawk (yep, I read a lotta fantasy and urban horror...).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Lakeside likes this.
  6. SoMeFred

SoMeFred Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Hank Moody of Californication

7. Peacecountry

Peacecountry Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    7,155⛀
    Maximus Decimus Meridius in Gladiator

8. Link from Zelda :)

D_go, Dogowar and MannyMan like this.
  9. Dogowar

Dogowar Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Lara Croft. Tomb Raider.

Sarah_1964 and D_go like this.
  10. MannyMan

MannyMan Well-Known Member

Money:
    17,875⛀
    I'm going with Web-Head himself, Spider-Man!

11. Edward Scissorhands

D_go and Dogowar like this.
  12. Dogowar

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan.

A smart and capable character who seems to grow more capable in each novel.

D_go and HollygoLightly like this.
  13. CHaracter development is so important when writing I think some times this portion of the film making has been dropped the actor MUST be able to portray the character adequately for success :)

D_go, Lakeside and Dogowar like this.
  14. Dogowar

I agree. Though the actors playing him in the films changed. The portrayal of Ryan actually stayed fairly true to the books Ryan.

D_go and HollygoLightly like this.
  15. That’s pretty amazing and I have to applaud the actor :)

Dogowar likes this.
  16. Freddy69foryou

Freddy69foryou Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    186,737⛀
    Lucifer is the best

HollygoLightly likes this.
  17. Dezzi420

Dezzi420 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    3,689⛀
    Sherlock Holmes, Dr House, Eric Cartman...basically anyone who can get away with saying extremely mean things. :)

D_go likes this.
  18. Well I mean... how hard could it be to give into all you lust and all you cannot do... I would play that role in a heart beat! All the Lucifer’s that have been portrayed I say bravo!

Freddy69foryou likes this.
  19. Dogowar

Well the two main actors Alec Bakdwin in Hunt for Red October and Harrison Ford in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger played Ryan well. Though I think Ford played him the closest to the books character to be honest :)

HollygoLightly likes this.
  20. Harrison Ford is truly a gem- Indiana Jones fucking Han!!!! Hello!!! Hahahaha

D_go and Dogowar like this.