Books The Last Book You Read

Discussion in 'Film, Music, Literature, Art' started by Corsair48, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Autonomous

Autonomous The Village Clown FCN Regular

Money:
    8,712⛀
    So you don't have respect for Donald T rump?

2. Apricity

Apricity Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    1,593⛀
    Does it count if I gave up half way through? The Golem and the Jinni. I actually kinda liked it tbh, it's just a really slow read and drags in sections.

3. Danaa93

Danaa93 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

The last book I read was “The Subtle Art of not giving a fuck” by Mark Mason. Despite the humor of the title, it was handsdown one of the best self and personal development books I’ve ever came across. I think many people should have a look at it, as it entails a lot of motivation, confidence and character building and just basically how to have a good & positive life.

CosmicGypsy92, JustLogan and RaidenV like this.
  4. Lupine

Lupine Guest

Sherlock Holmes - The Devil's Promise by David Stuart Davies.

Part of a huge series of continuation stories of Holmes and Watson.

Was okay, but not in the vein of Doyle or many others who have tried to keep Holmes stories going.

Camay likes this.
  5. MissMJ

MissMJ Member FCN Regular

Money:
    88⛀
    Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden.

I always like a mystery novel and this one delivered.

6. Lupine

Lupine Guest

Sherlock Homes - War of the Worlds by Manly Wade Wellman

Whilst it has some great moments in the book. It didn't really feel like a holmes book. I'm a tad disappointed with the ones from this expanded universe. So I need a break to read something else I think.

Camay likes this.
  7. JustifiedSinner

JustifiedSinner Well-Known Member

Just finished a YA novel

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Unfortunately it is part of a series so it doesnt tell a complete story. So hard to say what I think about it. But i do like the characters.

I wish more YA novels took a cue from Chronicles of Narnia and each novel would tell a complete story.

8. Lupine

Lupine Guest

The other books in the series are okay and in some ways it's nice to have a reason to keep reading.

Just finished Dune by Frank Herbert. I think I must have read this book 10+ times now. I'm working through the series from start to end. Well before they add anymore.

9. JustifiedSinner

JustifiedSinner Well-Known Member

Dune is awesome. The first time I read it I was 12 and my older brother had just shown me the David Lynch movie. I saw the book on my school library and I borrowed it cause I was hoping it would help me make sense if the movie.
    It didnt help. But I ended up reading the whole series that year. Im still not quite sure what it all means

Lupine likes this.
  10. Flopsy

Flopsy Well-Known Member FCN Regular

The last book I read was Neuromancer by William Gibson. A wonderful book with with a very intriguing writing style for those who enjoy cyberpunk.

If you have ever seen the movie Johnny Mnemonic you will have a rough idea of what to expect (Johnny is mentioned only once in the whole book)

It's the only book I've ever finished reading, put down and blinked a few times before picking it back up and reading again.

JustifiedSinner and Lupine like this.
  11. Corsair48

Corsair48 Well-Known Member FCN Regular

Money:
    18,518⛀
    [​IMG]

Never Call Me A Hero: A Legendary American Dive-Bomber Pilot Remembers the Battle of Midway by N. Jack "Dusty" Kleiss

On June 4, 1942, the dive bombers of the U.S. Navy attacked and sank four Japanese carriers, dramatically turning the tide in the Pacific Theater of World War II. Richard Halsey Best scored hits on both the Akagi and the Hiryu while Norman Jack Kleiss scored hits on both the Kaga and the Hiryu; these were the only two pilots to score hits on two enemy carriers during the war, much less on the same day.

On June 6, Kleiss would make one more dive bombing attack, this time on a Japanese heavy cruiser, which would also sink. Earlier on the year, on February 1, during a hit and run raid on the Marshall Islands, Dusty, as he was known, scored a hit on a light cruiser in the lagoon of Kwajalein Atoll. In just five attacks, Kleiss would score hits on four ships, three of which would sink, a record that might have made him the best dive bomber pilot of the war.

But this book is more than just a story of one pilot as the author recounts the stories of not just his squadron mates, but also of other pilots serving aboard his carrier, USS Enterprise (CV-6). There are difficult memories told in the loss of friends to accidents and to combat. Kleiss does not shy away from controversy, challenging the wisdom of sending the torpedo bomber crews into combat in obsolete aircraft armed with faulty torpedoes.

Finally, there is a love story, as Kleiss recounts the tale of how he met and courted, and almost lost, the love of his life. All in all, this is a fantastic, and long overdue memoir.

Dogowar likes this.
  12. Scorpio_Danner

Scorpio_Danner New Member

Money:
    5⛀
    The Dark Tower series

13. Still making my way through it - but more than half way.
    Grant.jpg

Camay likes this.
  14. Egrayuk

Egrayuk Member FCN Regular

Money:
    142⛀
    Just finished reading Stephen Kings IT, very good read. Weird at times but would recommend it. A really odd bit in there which if you have read it you know what I mean.

Anyway gonna start the first Game of thrones book next.

Camay, CosmicGypsy92 and xyzrp like this.
  15. Dogowar

Dogowar Well-Known Member FCN Regular

745308.jpg
    Working my way through this hilarious mans series of books chronicling his life in the British Army during WW2.

Camay and Flopsy like this.
  16. PhantomStranger

PhantomStranger Member

Money:
    114⛀
    the Road by Jack London
    He tells stories about bumming around.

Camay and xyzrp like this.
  17. xyzrp

xyzrp Well-Known Member FCN Regular

The Collectors by David Baldacci

Camay likes this.
  18. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
    [​IMG]

The Silent Service in World War II:The Story of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force in the Words of the Men Who Lived It
    edited by Edward Monroe-Jones & Michael Green

A collection of true submarine stories as told by the men who experienced the war in the Pacific against Japan. I listed to an audio version of this narrated primarily by Tom Perkins -- one story written by a nurse evacuated from the Philippines by submarine is narrated by Jo Anna Perrin.

Very good. I always enjoy a good submarine story and this book has quite a few.

Camay and CosmicGypsy92 like this.
  19. Corsair48

Money:
    18,518⛀
    [​IMG]

Firing Point
    by George Wallace and Don Keith

Below the polar ice cap, an American nuclear submarine moves quietly in the freezing water, tailing a new Russian sub. But the usual, unspoken game of hide-and-seek between opposing captains is ended when the Americans hear sounds of disaster and flooding, and the Russian sub sinks in a thousand feet of water. The American sub rushes to help, only to join its former quarry in the deep.

A rogue Russian admiral has begun a plot to bring the planet to the brink of World War III, all so he can reunite the Russian Empire. Now, it is up to a U.S. Navy submarine, its untested captain, and a Navy SEAL team to avenge the deaths of American sub sailors and avert the conflagration.

Former submarine skipper George Wallace and prolific submarine historical author Don Keith spin a nicely tense story. Very, very good, though maybe a little long.

The novel is the basis for the 2018 movie Hunter Killer starring Gerard Butler and Gary Oldman. I read the book first, then watch the movie. As usual, the book was better, and the movie makers made enough changes that the story is barely recognizable.

Firing Point is a sequel to Wallace's and Keith's best seller Final Bearing -- a story often referred to in the telling of Firing Point -- and a prequel to two more novels, Dangerous Grounds and Cuban Deep.

Camay and CosmicGypsy92 like this.